Frequent dead battery.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequent dead battery.

Hey all, been awhile.

My 99 Durango has recently begun killing the battery when left parked for more than a couple of hours. Finally had a chance yesterday to start troubleshooting. Here's what I've found so far:

With the truck and everything electrical shut off, key out of the ignition, doors closed, etc... there is still a 5 amp draw off of the battery. Going through fusible links and fuses, I managed to get as far as which circuit the draw is coming from, the circuit labelled for interior lights in the fuse panel. (Not at the vehicle right now, so not sure exactly how it's abbreviated on the panel cover.)

Checked all the obvious things. Unhooked radio, looked for interior lights (and anything else) remaining on when they shouldn't, etc...

At this point I'm starting to think I'm looking at a rather big job tracing and testing wired one by one, foot by foot to finish the troubleshooting on this, so I thought I'd pop in here and ask if this issue rang any bells with anyone and if there were any "common" things I should check before I dig in too deep.

Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First question comes to mind. Do you have any customized accessories installed on your truck that is not OEM? I would start there.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the stereo which I put in when the factory unit died. But I've already tested with that completely disconnected, still had the 5 amp draw....

Quick Reply: Frequent dead battery.