1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1st Gen Durango Electrical Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 PM
justinhutcheson6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen Durango Electrical Transmission Problems

1st Post here, and thanks for reading.
I'll apologize in advance for a somewhat, very long post.
I found recently that my battery had been draining overnight. I installed a new battery, checked the voltage as soon as it was installed...read 14.5 volts. Two hours later it dropped 2 volts to 12.5.
My truck was parked, everything off.
I performed a parasitic current draw test and found that the "Transmission" fuse under my hood was the culprit. Once it was pulled, the current draw dropped from 1.3 amps down to an acceptable 51mA.
I traced all of the wiring from my transmission to the fuse block, and everything looked fine. No shorts, etc...
My question is, is my shift solenoid DEFINITELY the problem? Or if there is something I am missing, I could definitely use your help.
I think the solenoid may be faulty, causing a short somehow, draining my battery, draining it enough even while I am driving that I can only drive for about an hour before my truck finally dies, and will not crank. My truck shifts fine with the fuse in place, but with terrible battery drain.
With the fuse pulled, there is zero battery drain, but obviously my transmission does not shift properly.
I am not a mechanic, I build cell phone towers, so I apologize if I sound like a moron, and any input from you guys is greatly appreciated

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What year is and which engine is in your truck? Someone will be able to help you better with that information.

btw, welcome to the boards

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 PM
justinhutcheson6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry...
2000 Dodge Durango
5.9L
2WD
Not sure which trans
and thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You have the 46RE transmission with the 5.9. The best I can tell you is to check connectors and make sure they aren't melted or anything. Beyond that you'll have to wait for someone other than me to help you out. I've rebuilt older transmissions before, but all this electronic stuff in them is new to me.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Durango Electrical Transmission Problems