1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM
teeluv31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango wont start

I have a 1998 Dodge Durango V8 4wd 5.2L. I few weeks ago it startedsputtering a little when I would first start it up and try to accelerate. Itdidnt idle high or rough. The rpm would just drop and when I push the gas itwould sputter like it wanted to cut off, but never did. Thats until yesterday.I drove it a total of 3 times yesterday and not one time did I get thesputtering or going down in idle. The last time I go out to crank it, itstarted, then sputtered, and then died. Every time I tried to get it running itdid this. The rpm didnt even reach 1 on the meter. And it has gas in it. Now it want crank at all.Anyone have any idea what this could be, or what I can try to get it started.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for spark. Pull a plug wire and put a screwdriver in it and hold it close (within a 1/4") of a good metal surface. Have someone crank it over. If no spark, that gives you a place to start with.

If you have spark, look for the fuel rail along the top of the engine. It will go to the fuel injectors. There should be what looks like a tire valve in the rail. Turn the key on, then push the center of the valve. Be careful gas may squirt out. If no gas and pressure, it is probably the fuel pump in the gas tank (I think).

Post back with results.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Durango wont start