1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Idle Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 PM
durangos_rock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Troubles

I have a 2000 Durango SLT 4X4 5.9L V8 Magnum. I recently had to change the radiator hose because it blew out and got anti-freeze everywhere in my engine compartment. Ever since then my engine has had a rough time idleing. I will be driving down the road and it will just die on me. The Temp gauge is usually around 210 when it happens. I have also checked the codes and get a P 0443 - Evaporative Emission Control System purge control valve circuit malfunction. I was wondering it there is a dirty sensor or something that may be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

PS- As a side note, I found the P codes at this website http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...l_obd_main.htm

Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Idle Troubles

Not quite sure but did it get antifreeze in your coil?

Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
durangos_rock

I don't think it made it that far back. The thing is, it runs fine up until about 210 F - once it reaches this point it will start getting sluggish and will just die. I usually just pull over, let it sit for a minute and then it starts back up- really wierd.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cannot really remember, but I think that part has to do with the emissions. May want to check on that error code you got. Also, when you hit 210 degrees, the PCM puts the engine in limp mode to protect it from further overheating. My 2000 Durango hit 210 a few times as the DFW area in Texas, we're still in the 100+ temps! And it sux when my D hits 210, you can hear the fan clutch kicking in roaring under the hood and the engine itself runs like 4 cylinders missing. This is because of stop and go traffic in 100+ heat. Luckily the R/T's come with heavy duty cooling so the aux electric fan kicked in to provide additional cooling. This is the first year this D started to get this hot. May be time get a good flushing of the radiator to make sure it is clean! I may need to go with a lower 180F thermostat to replace the OEM 195F thermostat.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 AM
durangos_rock

Thanks Kensai-

I'm in San Antonio and its been hot as hell down here- What you described is exactly what was happening to my Durango. Once the temperature outside went down, it stopped happening.

D.R.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:07 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

sounds about right. also if the system was not bled properly an air bubble trapped in the system can cause overheating problems.

Quick Reply: Idle Troubles