1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 PM
buckitc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans question

Hello,

I just bought a '98 Durango 5.2 SLT and am new to the board.
I had two issues come up with the transmission that were odd and thought I would solicit opinions.
The first time, I started to back out of a parking space and could feel my right rear wheel starting to rub against the curb so I pulled the car forward again to straighten it out. When I shifted back into reverse I got no response. Hit the accelerator and the engine just revved. I shut the car off and started it again and the vehicle went right into reverse with no problem.
The second incident happened after I pulled off the highway to get gas. When I accelerated back on to the highway the car wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear so all of a sudden I was near 4,000 rpms to go 55 mph. I pulled off the highway and shut the car off and let it sit for a couple minutes then started it again. When I went back on the highway it shifted normally into 4th gear.
Thoughts? Haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet, and was thinking you all might be able to point me at some likely culprits. I'm wondering whether it's a solenoid going bad or a module, since turning the car off and on again seemed to 'reboot' the issue each time.
Thanks for you time.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buckitc
Hello,

I just bought a '98 Durango 5.2 SLT and am new to the board.
I had two issues come up with the transmission that were odd and thought I would solicit opinions.
The first time, I started to back out of a parking space and could feel my right rear wheel starting to rub against the curb so I pulled the car forward again to straighten it out. When I shifted back into reverse I got no response. Hit the accelerator and the engine just revved. I shut the car off and started it again and the vehicle went right into reverse with no problem.
The second incident happened after I pulled off the highway to get gas. When I accelerated back on to the highway the car wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear so all of a sudden I was near 4,000 rpms to go 55 mph. I pulled off the highway and shut the car off and let it sit for a couple minutes then started it again. When I went back on the highway it shifted normally into 4th gear.
Thoughts? Haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet, and was thinking you all might be able to point me at some likely culprits. I'm wondering whether it's a solenoid going bad or a module, since turning the car off and on again seemed to 'reboot' the issue each time.
Thanks for you time.
Most likely since it seems to "reset" its most likely a sensor i can think of atleast 5. The bad news in this all is that what you discribe could be many different culprits from electrical such as a sensor to mechanical like worn clutch paks to a torque converter.. it could also be something simple as needing a fluid change and a band adjustment. I would recomend getting it in to a good trans shop ASAP to get it checked out.

Quick Reply: Trans question