1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What efan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
rjlane1@pacbell.net
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the AC performance when your sitting in traffic on those hot days? I'm in CA so I'm not dealing with quite the same heat, but I've noticed on a few 90 plus days that although my temperature isn't getting high (I only have the stock guage), the A/C isn't quite as cool as it is when I'm at freeway speed. (I have the Taurus fan). I figure if you put your hand up to it and ask yourself if its as cool as it should be, it probably isn't.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with only the OEM E-fan running, it is somewhat cold. definitely not cool. After installing the dual 10 inch fans in front of the condenser coil, A/C is ICE COLD.

In DFW, it is now around 97-99 degrees of ambient temperature. Now I realized that temperature will climb to around 200 degrees driving on hwy with A/C mode on. I am going to tune down my race mode back to stock settings to see if it helps run cooler with A/C on.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM
majerus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had no issues pulling my 19' boat in traffic with the GC fan. As posted earlier my thread outlines what I did.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-fan-pics.html

Here is the fan only like $80

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-cbg4f250

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've still never seen my temp get above 195 (180 thermostat) with the a/c on whether I'm sitting in traffic when it's 100+ outside or going up all the huge mountains between PA and SC with my taurus fan.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, Update: After going over everything I overlooked one item that never occurred to me until someone at NAPA mentioned to me. The radiator cap!

Replaced the cap and so far, it seems to be holding around 200-205 degrees on a 100 degree day.

The original cap I had said 21lb, and the new cap says 18lb. Not sure which is better but at least the 18lb replacment is doing a better job.

I also removed the front bug mesh that is part of my bra for the front of the truck to allow more air flow to flow to the A/C_radiator.

One thing I know, the OEM Efan blows some serious air. I have to actually put some resistance on my hand to hold it near the OEM efan as the air blowing out can actually push my hand away. I may have to think of a way to remount the OEM fan where it will be further away from the radiator and encapsulate it around the end of the shroud to provide max air flow coverage.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
that_guy
Champion

So my taurus fan died today. I'm not sure if it will still have any warranty or not, so I may end up having to buy a new fan. What I'm trying to decide is if I should buy another taurus fan or if I should get the Grand Cherokee fan. They're both the same price and about the same air flow. On the surface of it I'd much rather have the Grand Cherokee fan, but it's only a single speed unlike the dual speeds of the taurus fan. My controller isn't variable speed, it controls the two speeds instead. My only aversion to the Grand Cherokee fan is that it is only one speed so the fan would either be off or on full speed. I could set the on and off temps to have a larger gap to reduce cycling. I'm just curious of how others have been running the Grand Cherokee fans and what they think of them.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds ilke you have some other issues worth looking into..

I ran just the factory efan (clutch fan delete) in TX. Never really had any issues
Name:  d5101472.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  417.4 KB

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM
that_guy
Champion

What issues?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

he probably doesnt have any issues, his truck is too old to have a factory e-fan so he removed the clutch fan and replaced it with an electric fan.

IMO i would get another taurus fan, if you were doing a new install id say get the mopar fan and get a variable speed (PWM) controller for it

Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah, I'm still confused about this "issue"? Anyways I did get another taurus fan at the junkyard earlier this week for $25. I went pulled off a couple of them and got the nicest one, then cleaned all of the grease and grime off of it when I got it home, made new brackets, and installed it. I figured I may as well get one from the junkyard this time because the new one I paid $80 for the last time died in a year.

Here are some pics of the new-to-me fan. I do need to clean my engine bay again.

I grabbed as much of the wiring harness for the fan as I could, so now I have both ends of the connector instead of having the fan wired in directly.

Passenger's side brackets.

I slotted the ends of the bolts that go through the fan shroud so that I can tighten them with the fan in place against the radiator. This was necessary because the brackets have to swing in to maneuver the fan into place.

Driver's side brackets. I did tighten that bottom bolt after I took the picture, I just missed it at first.

Quick Reply: What efan?