1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issue

I have a 99 Durango 4wd with rwal and I've owned it for 4 years now, great vehicle and I love it but anyway I've had a small issue even since I got it. When I apply the brakes they are a little delayed and seem to come on almost gradually, not like when you touch the pedal and you're immediately starting to slow down. I've had to put on wheel cylinders, calipers, and front brake hoses so I've bled the brakes a few times and last summer I did a brake flush with DOT 4 fluid but this has never changed. The only thing I can think of is some sort of internal leakage in my master cylinder. Any thoughts?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd start with easy/cheap stuff like checking to make sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly, as that can cause excessive pedal travel.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 AM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it turns out when I did the brake job 3 1/2 years ago I didn't hook the adjuster cable up right. I had the corner of the metal frame around the spring hooked to the metal piece that engages with the star wheel instead of the spring itself. Dumb mistake and I've only had front brakes for the last 3 1/2 years.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to hear it was just something simple. A couple months ago I rebuilt my back brakes with new shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, and everything. About a month ago I noticed that my parking brake had to be almost to the floor to hold and there was also noise coming from the right rear brake. I took off the drum and it turned out that the rebuild kit I got from autozone had 2 left side adjuster screws, which I didn't catch at the time, so when the auto adjuster mechanism was trying to loosen the adjuster screw it was actually tightening it, which eventually built up enough tension in the cable that it snapped and got stuck in part of the brake mechanism. Just goes to show one little thing can cause all kinds of issues.

Quick Reply: Brake Issue