1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango 4.7 head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM
dougway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango 4.7 head gasket replacement

Well guys been reading this forum since my issue of overheating began a week ago, driving home up the mountain, temp gauge shot to red like now! "check gauge" lights up on dash, pulled over to cool, add distilled water, finally get home. Since then it has not overheated but has been blowing coolant from overflow tank, yesterday I changed oil looking for coolant, oil looked fine! I then jacked up the front of car, ran engine and pulled the bleeder plug, lots of bubbles at first running for about 20-25 mins until finally no bubbles!, took it down the road for a drive when I got back popped hood and it blew more coolant from overflow! Added a little more liquid knowing there is probably a little too much fluid in overflow, This morning I drive my 30 miles to work popped hood expecting to see fluid but completely dry, Talked to radiator shop he suggests that I replace radiator cap which I did, drive home and well turns out the cap was bad because no fluid blew from overflow, in fact coming up mountain no fluid came out at all, until I shut the engine off then I start to hear it welling up next thing you know fluid is pouring out all around the new cap! I am thinking head gasket now! Anyone have any ideas or know of a reputable shop near San Bernardino or Redlands in Socal that would tackle the head gaskets for me?
Thanks for reading, Doug

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you decide it is the head gasket, take it to a shop and have your cooling system pressure tested. Blown head gasket that may leak coolant will not hold pressure.

You can do it yourself. I think the tools used to test pressure on the cooling system goes for around $40-$80 bucks from most auto parts shops.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougway
Well guys been reading this forum since my issue of overheating began a week ago, driving home up the mountain, temp gauge shot to red like now! "check gauge" lights up on dash, pulled over to cool, add distilled water, finally get home. Since then it has not overheated but has been blowing coolant from overflow tank, yesterday I changed oil looking for coolant, oil looked fine! I then jacked up the front of car, ran engine and pulled the bleeder plug, lots of bubbles at first running for about 20-25 mins until finally no bubbles!, took it down the road for a drive when I got back popped hood and it blew more coolant from overflow! Added a little more liquid knowing there is probably a little too much fluid in overflow, This morning I drive my 30 miles to work popped hood expecting to see fluid but completely dry, Talked to radiator shop he suggests that I replace radiator cap which I did, drive home and well turns out the cap was bad because no fluid blew from overflow, in fact coming up mountain no fluid came out at all, until I shut the engine off then I start to hear it welling up next thing you know fluid is pouring out all around the new cap! I am thinking head gasket now! Anyone have any ideas or know of a reputable shop near San Bernardino or Redlands in Socal that would tackle the head gaskets for me?
Thanks for reading, Doug
To me, it sounds like u have too much water and not enough coolant, which brings the boil over point down, causing it to **** out the overflow. Add more coolant instead of water and see if this solves your problem before you assume it's the head gaskets..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
dougway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys, taking it to radiator shop in the morning for flush.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougway
Thanks for the responses guys, taking it to radiator shop in the morning for flush.
I wouldn't do a flush. Just drain the fluid and replace with a 50-50 mix of water and coolant. Flushes can sometimes bring up bigger problems, especially if not done right.

Also check the pressure rating on the cap you bought and make sure it's either 15 or 16 psi.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango 4.7 head gasket replacement