1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

is this item worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM
vako
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is this item worth it?

soo this item i saw on ebay said it increases HP and increases MPG, this real or its total crap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Durang...df7b46&vxp=mtr

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

snake oil, it even looks home made in the pictures, if a module like that could actually improve power or fuel efficiencty dont you think dodge woulda installed one at the factory?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tricking the computer to think colder air coming into your truck will be no different than if you drove your truck when it is cold. during cold starts, your engine will run much richer and thus, you use more fuel lowering your mpg.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that and thought messing with the fuel mixture like that would actually hurt performance more than help. These trucks' computers are designed and programmed to be very precise when deciding how much fuel to add for the best power output while also not wasting any, same goes for the timing. Trying to trick that can't do anything but lower the MPG and hurt your HP. If you want to change how the computer optimizes the engine's fuel and timing and such you're MUCH better off using a tuner to change the computer's settings, i.e. having it prefer the best power output and not preferring the lowest fuel consumption, or the opposite. Making the sensors lie to the computer doesn't seem like a helpful idea.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
snake oil, it even looks home made in the pictures, if a module like that could actually improve power or fuel efficiency don't you think dodge woulda installed one at the factory?
I totally agree with the snake oil part, definitely stay away from that thing.

On the 'if it was good, Dodge would have done it' part, I know you know they make a lot of trade-offs in designing a vehicle, like keeping intake air noise low over best air flow for performance. There are indeed things you can do to improve performance without sacrificing reliability, but this do-dad isn't one of them.

Quick Reply: is this item worth it?