1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Can your PCM get 'out of whack'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can your PCM get 'out of whack'?

Here in Abq we had a hellacious storm/hurricane 10 days ago, read 89MPH gusts, highest ever. I was stuck on the freeway, doing 15MPH with every one else, trying not to die or crash.

Anyway, the alternator went out in that mess and I tried to hobble home on the battery. It didn't work, and I limped off the freeway with the the volt meter looking like the motor was off. I had it towed home.

The next morning it started fine and the alternator was working. But since then, while in open loop for sure, and maybe a bit after when warmed up, I get a slight lag accelerating off idle. It feels like the old carburetor days.

I was wondering of I should reset the PCM (voltage off, not sure of best way), if maybe some adaptive system added the bad wet night into the mix. Actually, I'm open to anything. D has 100K miles and other than the exhaust I put in yesterday (cat was bad), ran great. The old exhaust and bad cat had been there before the storm too, but the 'carb mode' only started after the storm.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 08-04-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As a computer engineer I can tell you that computers certainly can do weird things under certain circumstances. It certainly won't hurt to try resetting it.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Apparently the answer to my thread title is 'Yes'. I pulled the battery negative for a while, reconnected it, then just because I could I reprogrammed the PCM with my Hypertech III (overlayed the same pgm).

It was acting up on every one of 4-6 drives after the rain problem. It's now been perfect in all three drives after the reset.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JeeperDon,

Yes, please overlay your hypertech programming to overwrite the original, if the Hypertech does not allow you to do that, just restore back to factory and then reprogram back to your preferred setting.

This issue happened to me. My battery died, causing my durango to not hold idle. After replacing the battery, durango still will not hold idle. I suspected it was the PCM. My SCT tuner was able to let me rewrite with the same preferred settings without having to revert to OEM first.

After I reflashed the PCM, my idle issues went away and everything is back to normal.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by Kensai
Yes, please overlay your hypertech programming to overwrite the original, if the Hypertech does not allow you to do that...
I already did that as part of the reset, and yes, Hypertech lets you re-write the same pgm over itself.

Quick Reply: Can your PCM get 'out of whack'?