Front Drive Shaft- Bearings Came out

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Drive Shaft- Bearings Came out

Hello To All,
My Name is Sixpack Mitchell I'm from Chester, Ct. I'm New to this forum, i signed up cause this forum has allot of good advice and seem to help allot of people. So i hope to help people out in the future.

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 (V8), I was backing out of driveway this morning and the was a pop noise loud. I stopped and got out, Looked under. There were 2 steel ***** on the ground. I saw the boot on the front drive shaft was torn. I turned the drive shaft and more ***** fell out. I noticed that the truck was in 4x4 high. I didn't notice it when i backed out. The wife cleaned the car and vacuumed it the day before . I think the switch was hit during the cleaning, Even though the 4x4 should work regardless going forward or backing up.

I proceeded to take the drive shaft out. I wanted to know if the transfer case was damaged i put it into 4x4 high, herd transfer case click in and light came on saying it was in 4 high. Did the same thing for 4x4 low. Put it back to 2 wheel, There was no grinding or noise from the transfer case.
(I hope it's ok).

I saw they sell the whole drive shaft with the bearing end for $266.00. I also saw the bearing end complete with boot new for $150.00. Should I buy the whole unit or just the bearing end? Also how do you separate the bearing from the drive shaft. Is it pressed on?

One last thing. Even though the transfer case went in and out of 4x4 with drive shaft out,when I put the drive shaft back in, do you think there will be a problem with the transfer case.

Thank you for reading this,Looking forward to helping out as well, again thanks
Sixpack Mitchell

Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixpack.mitchell
Hello To All,
My Name is Sixpack Mitchell I'm from Chester, Ct. I'm New to this forum, i signed up cause this forum has allot of good advice and seem to help allot of people. So i hope to help people out in the future.

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 (V8), I was backing out of driveway this morning and the was a pop noise loud. I stopped and got out, Looked under. There were 2 steel ***** on the ground. I saw the boot on the front drive shaft was torn. I turned the drive shaft and more ***** fell out. I noticed that the truck was in 4x4 high. I didn't notice it when i backed out. The wife cleaned the car and vacuumed it the day before . I think the switch was hit during the cleaning, Even though the 4x4 should work regardless going forward or backing up.

I proceeded to take the drive shaft out. I wanted to know if the transfer case was damaged i put it into 4x4 high, herd transfer case click in and light came on saying it was in 4 high. Did the same thing for 4x4 low. Put it back to 2 wheel, There was no grinding or noise from the transfer case.
(I hope it's ok).

I saw they sell the whole drive shaft with the bearing end for $266.00. I also saw the bearing end complete with boot new for $150.00. Should I buy the whole unit or just the bearing end? Also how do you separate the bearing from the drive shaft. Is it pressed on?

One last thing. Even though the transfer case went in and out of 4x4 with drive shaft out,when I put the drive shaft back in, do you think there will be a problem with the transfer case.

Thank you for reading this,Looking forward to helping out as well, again thanks
Sixpack Mitchell
In order to change just the bearing end of the driveshaft, all you have to do is pop the cover off (the cover that sits pressed against the front diff when installed) with a small flat head, and the pop the clip off of the shaft and slide the shaft off of the bearing end. Super easy IMO.

As for damage to the transfer case, you should be ok, the front driveshafts are very prone to failure on these trucks I find

Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 AM
sixpack.mitchell
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give it a go this weekend. Thank you for the response.

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft- Bearings Came out