1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Hatch Not Opening

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Bimmer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Not Opening

This isn't really an intermittent problem. About 6 months ago I had launched the boat and when I got back up the ramp, the rear hatch would not open. Key works fine in the lock. The actuator worked at well as I could hear and see the lock move a bit as the actuator was engaging. After we got home, it opened just like it should. That was 6 months ago. Yesterday I drove about 5 hours into Illinois and when we got there to load up parrot cages, it started not working. All the same symptoms. Using the control panel on the drivers door to lock and unlock the doors didn't work and neither did the key. We tried for over half an hour before we left to come home AND each time we stopped along the way, I'd try the door but it wasn't going to open. This morning before church, I went to try the door and it came right open. Got to church and it wouldn't open again. All day it wouldn't open. It's been dark now for about three hours so it's cool again outside. I just went to try the door and it came right open.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that heat is affecting whether or not the actuator allows the door to open or not. This time while I had it open, I sprayed it really well with WD-40 and tried the door 4 times in succession and it worked each time.

Just for the record, I don't slam any of my doors.

So what's up with heat and actuators?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Open it (when it lets you while at home), then pull the door panel and figure out what is the problem.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Not Opening