1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trans Temp Light Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM
victoralert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Temp Light Intermittent

Guys - looking for guidance with Trans Temp light. I've searched the archives to figure it out on my own and came up empty. I have an 02 Durango sxt 4wd 4.7. I was driving on the highway with A/C on and all of a sudden trans temp light on. Pull over turn engine off/restart and light goes out. Figured it was a bad sensor so I left the A/C off and continued on my 200+ mile trip. Got to my location and it ran fine....return trip home on highway with A/C on light comes on again. Same cycle as before light stays off. Hasnt done it since and have only been on local roads.

I have noticed that the Aux fan has been running a lot more often with and without the A/C on. I'm in NY so temps arent crazy hot. Pulled code P0700. From what I can see its a generic code for the TCM or EATX Ctrller DTC Present. Not sure what that is. Going to do a fluid/filter change this weekend as Im due. Fluid level appears normal and is still normal color/smell.

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0700 is an INFORMATION ONLY code. It is SOLELY there to tell the tech that there are specific fault codes in the Transmission Control Module. It does NOT stand for any one part or problem. The only way to retreive the transmission specific fault codes is with a diagnostic scanner there is no other way.

If it where me i would get the code read from the TCM first. It may be something as simple as the fluid is just so far due that its causing a issue or it may accually be a sensor bad. Either way you would have to drop the pan for both and i rather drop it once rather than twice...

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Light Intermittent