1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1900 RPM pulling from standstill???.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 AM
coogrrr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1900 RPM pulling from standstill???.

No P-Codes ..... Just replaced the TCM and before I did, as well as now after I have, it seems that my truck wont engage the O/D. I also note that it seems to start from a standstill in what feels like 2nd all the time. If I manually shift to first its all there and can spin tires. No noise just all power. Reverse as well - all power!

When leaving a light or going up a steep driveway it seems to need 2k rpm to get going - no chance to peel out not even on a wet road. Drop in into first manually and whamo! patches left on dry pavement.

I have now replaced the IAC the TPS and the TCM(03 JGC Unit) so far. Fluid fine no leaks - no codes...

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance!
~Coog

Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coogrrr
No P-Codes ..... Just replaced the TCM and before I did, as well as now after I have, it seems that my truck wont engage the O/D. I also note that it seems to start from a standstill in what feels like 2nd all the time. If I manually shift to first its all there and can spin tires. No noise just all power. Reverse as well - all power!

When leaving a light or going up a steep driveway it seems to need 2k rpm to get going - no chance to peel out not even on a wet road. Drop in into first manually and whamo! patches left on dry pavement.

I have now replaced the IAC the TPS and the TCM(03 JGC Unit) so far. Fluid fine no leaks - no codes...

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance!
~Coog
Just to get it out there, What engine and transmission are we talking about here??? Base on talking about a TCM my guess would be a 4.7l with a 45rfe??

Without knowing the important details for sure its kinda hard to give a good solution to the issue but, I will put this out there tho as a thought. Mine started doing the exact same issue a few months ago, in the end it turned out to be a failing torque converter and internal clutches. When it happend i could drive it in an emergency but, i lost reverse all together a short time after the first issue started.

That (if my guess is correct) would be a different transmission than yours. My opinion would be to find a decent transmission shop you feel you can trust and let them do a diagnosys on it. Most shops will do that at little to no cost for you. If i where you i would take it to a few shops and get there opinion on it and compare..

Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
coogrrr
Default Yes my aplogies thge details...

it is a 2001 SLT 4.7L 4x4. Nothing modded except the TCM from the 2003 which I installed yesterday in hopes my issue was the TCM - was having an 0700 P-Code.

No codes now. I drove it prior and am driving it today. More in depth details is this. Reverse - rock solid and will squeal tires. 1st gear - manually engaged - awesome response and can squeal tires. 2nd gear manually engaged feels normal - no squeal here of course. 3rd gear/Drive... Feels like it is slipping in the Torque converter. I do not have rough gear changes in fact I can't feel them most of the time.

1900 RPM to get rolling from a dead stop. I can do less of course and wait for it to catch up which I do out of fear most of the time. AT 60mph it feels great and does a dead on 2500rpm. Which I believe is too high. The O/D light or rather that it is OFF - does not light up no matter the speed at which I push the button (2 times to be sure) And it does feel like it is in 3rd gear not O/D meaning too high of RPM for 60mph.

I will take it to a diagnostic shop if it will not cost a ton of money. I can rebuild the transmission but it is a time versus cost factor. If the cost was $50.00 I have other vehicles and would not bat an eye. If it is $1250 I will just get a rebuilt and swap it. If it is a TC I can swap that and heck $80.00 is nothing compared to rebuild.

Most shops just tell you "Its broken and needs a rebuild" They don't tell you "It IS the torque converter" We can replace it and your all set. I know the game they play and I also know a full rebuild kit with TC is <$400.00 but they would charge me 1200+.

That is why I come to the boards to ask if anyone else has something similar or knows that it is this part or that. For example when another poster here said "Wont idle, dies at a light unless I hold gas pedal down" I respond with "$40.00 and 2 screws to fix it yourself - don't go to a shop" to save that guy time money and pain.

Thanks for your input - might be sad that I have to get raked by a transmission shop but so it goes when your rebuilding...

~Coogrrr

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

it is a 2001 SLT 4.7L 4x4. Nothing modded except the TCM from the 2003 which I installed yesterday in hopes my issue was the TCM - was having an 0700 P-Code.

No codes now. I drove it prior and am driving it today. More in depth details is this. Reverse - rock solid and will squeal tires. 1st gear - manually engaged - awesome response and can squeal tires. 2nd gear manually engaged feels normal - no squeal here of course. 3rd gear/Drive... Feels like it is slipping in the Torque converter. I do not have rough gear changes in fact I can't feel them most of the time.

1900 RPM to get rolling from a dead stop. I can do less of course and wait for it to catch up which I do out of fear most of the time. AT 60mph it feels great and does a dead on 2500rpm. Which I believe is too high. The O/D light or rather that it is OFF - does not light up no matter the speed at which I push the button (2 times to be sure) And it does feel like it is in 3rd gear not O/D meaning too high of RPM for 60mph.

I will take it to a diagnostic shop if it will not cost a ton of money. I can rebuild the transmission but it is a time versus cost factor. If the cost was $50.00 I have other vehicles and would not bat an eye. If it is $1250 I will just get a rebuilt and swap it. If it is a TC I can swap that and heck $80.00 is nothing compared to rebuild.

Most shops just tell you "Its broken and needs a rebuild" They don't tell you "It IS the torque converter" We can replace it and your all set. I know the game they play and I also know a full rebuild kit with TC is <$400.00 but they would charge me 1200+.

That is why I come to the boards to ask if anyone else has something similar or knows that it is this part or that. For example when another poster here said "Wont idle, dies at a light unless I hold gas pedal down" I respond with "$40.00 and 2 screws to fix it yourself - don't go to a shop" to save that guy time money and pain.

Thanks for your input - might be sad that I have to get raked by a transmission shop but so it goes when your rebuilding...

~Coogrrr

I have a feeling it is just a bad torque converter but the reason i said a shop was that you may have transmission codes that will not light up the CEL nor show up with a normal code reader. that would point you in a good direction rather than just throwing time and parts at it and praying it works afterwards.... believe me i know the whole drill with transmission shops. I recently went on a rebuild quote spree and was told as high as $3400 and as low as $1200. I ended up rebuilding my own trans for (like you said) under $400.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM
coogrrr

Hey Old School.... YOU ROCK!. I agree got to get it into a diagnostic to avoid the needless time sink. Hope my is the TC and to be honest it does seem to be that, but I need to know for sure by a good diagnostic team. I was think AAMCO maybe... Going to start shopping it around - assuredly if it is more and needs a rebuild - DO IT MYSELF! or I am not holding to the "its my pet project" rule.

I will update you soon.
Coog

Old 09-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Hey Old School.... YOU ROCK!. I agree got to get it into a diagnostic to avoid the needless time sink. Hope my is the TC and to be honest it does seem to be that, but I need to know for sure by a good diagnostic team. I was think AAMCO maybe... Going to start shopping it around - assuredly if it is more and needs a rebuild - DO IT MYSELF! or I am not holding to the "its my pet project" rule.

I will update you soon.
Coog

if it turns out to be the torque converter for sure, let me know and ill hook you up with the guy that got me mine. He hooked me up with one for about 100 + shipping and he had it to me in 2 days from 3000 miles away.

BTW you have to watch some of the AAMCO's .... In my area, The one on the west side of town is a bunch of morons and the one on the east side is awesome. When i first got my trans back in after my rebuild i had a slight issue with it. I called the one on the east side for advice and the guy i talked to ended up dropping by my garage after work to lend me a hand. Also the AAMCO in Venice, FL helped me so much with questions along the way while i was rebuilding. They also have a bunch of youtube videos that are very helpful as well. oh and i cant forget Hiram!

Last edited by Old_School; 09-24-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 1900 RPM pulling from standstill???.