1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C Heat Do not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Nussbaum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Heat Do not turn off

About a month ago I found the my A/C no longer blew when the Fan was at the highest setting. I replaced the resistor and it went back to working normally until now. I was travelling and my wife asked me to turn off the A/C. I turned it off only for her to comment that cool air was still coming out. I put my hand over the vent to find that it really was still blowing cold air out. I switched off the A/C switch, and slid the temperature controls to heat. Heat started coming out the vents despite the fan being in the off position. Anyone have any idea what would cause this? My only guess is the actual fan switch. Thanks so much for any ideas.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

If you have the HVAC set to take in fresh air, the intake for the air is in the wiper cowl area, so as you drive fresh air will be pushed into the car. If you set it to recirculate that will stop it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Nussbaum

I don't think mine has recirculate. Looking at pictures of other Dodge Durango AC controls, I don't think mine has the recirculate symbol on it. It has Max A/C written were the recirculate symbol is on all the others. Not sure if it does the same thing. I will double check tonight.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Mine is the same as yours. No Recirculate. The Max sections on the first 2 (face and face/feet) are almost like the Recirculate feature. Try it next time you are behind a diesel. It's not as effective as the true Recirculate, but it's better than nothing.

SJ02

Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

The MAX settings are the same as recirculate, because for whatever reason it blows more air when its on recirculate than on fresh air. I think both the newer and older interior style both just have the MAX settings with either just panel vents or panel and feet.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Nussbaum

So I finally got back to working on figuring it out again. My passenger window motor gave out, so that became a priority for a few days. I tried changing the AC/Heater through all the different settings to see if it blows on all of them with the fan off. It does indeed blow air on every setting with the fan off(including feet and defrost settings). Anyone one have a clue what could be causing that?

Quick Reply: A/C Heat Do not turn off