1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help with Idle/TPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Radsbrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Idle/TPS

I guess I originally posted this in the wrong section......

I have a 2000 Durgano 4X4, 4.7... I've always had problems with idle control sensor and replaced it several times. Idle seems fine on initial start, purrs like a kitten; however, the longer I drive it the following happens: Problem 1: The idle gets really high when in park or just stopped (2000 rpms). Problem 2:driving in town, I come to a stoplight. I take my foot off the gas and expect "Big Mama" to begin slowing down at a normal rate. No, it is very slow to deaccerlate and I really have to get on the brake to stop. I turned into my sub about 15 mph and took my foot off the gas. Big Mama proceeded to go down the street at 15 and worked her way up to 18 mph before I reached my house. I'm sure she would have kept going higher. This morning I was driving through a residential neighborhood on my way to work and stopped at a stop sign. Gave it some gas to get through the intersection and reached the speed of 25....took my foot off the gas and it didn't slow down at all until I hit the brake.

Please let me this is something simple, cheap and easy to fix like the TSP sensor or cable.

(Side note: I've learned a lot from you guys. Being a woman, I like to search the forums before I take Big Mama in to my mechanic. )

Last edited by Radsbrat; 11-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
dkishton1486
Professional

This will sound stupid but this happened to my Ram... The throttle cable began to get stuck try some spray lube on the cable where it enters the firewall inside and outside spray on the cable if you can. My cable started sticking until I sprayed it. IM NOT saything this is your issue but somewhere to start easy,cheap and fast

Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Radsbrat

Originally Posted by dkishton1486
This will sound stupid but this happened to my Ram... The throttle cable began to get stuck try some spray lube on the cable where it enters the firewall inside and outside spray on the cable if you can. My cable started sticking until I sprayed it. IM NOT saything this is your issue but somewhere to start easy,cheap and fast
I will try that and thanks to a photo post I saw earlier, I can do this myself. No hubby required.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
selkov
Rookie

IAC's fail, but not nomally as often as you make it sound.
\
Any error codes?

Might be as simple as a vacuum leak.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

I had this on mine, replaced the TPS sensor and it works great. when I replaced the sensor, I also cleaned the IAC and throttle body.