1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TPS... etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Notch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS... etc...

hi folks...

2001 dodge durango 8 cylinder (4.7? the small one)

my engine would rev up and down at lights/stop signs...
would die at stops and occasional "chug" on the highway.
always took two tries to start car.
after being on the road for 10... 15 minutes, car would die when put into park...

had a P0320, P0700 and P0455 error codes.

replaced the TPS.

now the truck chugs at about 3k rpm like it is having trouble shifting. it also "chugs" a bit if i stomp on the accelerator (just a little "stomp" not down to the floor)
the revving at stop lights is not nearly as bad but the car dies if i come to a fast stop
car still dies after being driven and put into park

i now am getting P0123 and P0700...

any help would be greatly appreciated. i cant afford to bring her into a shop right now, maybe after i somehow pull christmas, for the kid, out of my butt, but i cant see being on the road in this condition for that long.

i have been digging around (but i am about as clueless when it comes to cars as a person can be) it sounds/looks like i may need a "output speed sensor" but i am pretty lost.

again, i know just enough about cars to be dangerous, but i am not afraid to get greasy, hopefully i can get steered the right direction (no pun intended)

thanks much in advance !

mark
minnesota

Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
hi folks...

2001 dodge durango 8 cylinder (4.7? the small one)

my engine would rev up and down at lights/stop signs...
would die at stops and occasional "chug" on the highway.
always took two tries to start car.
after being on the road for 10... 15 minutes, car would die when put into park...

had a P0320, P0700 and P0455 error codes.

replaced the TPS.

now the truck chugs at about 3k rpm like it is having trouble shifting. it also "chugs" a bit if i stomp on the accelerator (just a little "stomp" not down to the floor)
the revving at stop lights is not nearly as bad but the car dies if i come to a fast stop
car still dies after being driven and put into park

i now am getting P0123 and P0700...

any help would be greatly appreciated. i cant afford to bring her into a shop right now, maybe after i somehow pull christmas, for the kid, out of my butt, but i cant see being on the road in this condition for that long.

i have been digging around (but i am about as clueless when it comes to cars as a person can be) it sounds/looks like i may need a "output speed sensor" but i am pretty lost.

again, i know just enough about cars to be dangerous, but i am not afraid to get greasy, hopefully i can get steered the right direction (no pun intended)

thanks much in advance !

mark
minnesota

P0123 Throttle Pos Sens Voltage Hi
P0700 General Transmission Code

First, lets start with where did you get the TPS? The only place that i have had luck getting good TPS's was straight from the dealer. Often when purchased from the auto parts stores or online they are aftermarket parts and usually don't work right. If it did come from the dealer it could be possible that the new part failed from the start, i have had that happen as well.

I would start by solving the p0123 code first. The p0700 is a general code that is stored in the PCM when there are transmission codes coming from the TCM. Unfortunately, the only way to read the TCM is with a DRB scan tool and unless you have a few extra thousand laying around your only way to have it done is though a dealer or shop.

Quite honestly, i think you have either a bad TPS or a electrical short somewhere in the wires to the TPS. It a also very well possible that the TPS issues are causing the codes in the TCM and once its solved the transmission codes will clear.

HTH

Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 AM
selkov
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A long shot - But I had similar issues. Turned out to be a corroded terminal at the Mass Sensor.

Before spending $$ on sensors, buy some contact cleaner and dialectic grease. Clean all sensor connectors and apply a dab of grease to help prevent corrosion. As the "D" ages, the connector o-rings shrink allowing moisture into the terminals. A bad connection can throw bogus codes.

Quick Reply: TPS... etc...