1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4x4 actually engaging but noisy, and dash indicator light not lighting up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
slidinsideways06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 actually engaging but noisy, and dash indicator light not lighting up.

Had to use the 4x4 last night in some unplowed parts of town. I feel the extra traction coming from the front wheels pulling me out of the snow but the entire time I'm hearing grinding noises and the noise persists after I go back to 2WD but as I drive the noise goes away after a minute or two. Also, I look closely at the dash and I see indicator lights for 4x4. Aren't these things supposed to come on when I shift into 4WD?

And this time I made sure it wasn't just me. I kicked in the 4WD while trying to take off at a light on an incline. Began to slide in place until I kicked in the 4WD and I finally rolled forward.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the grinding noise is not normal and is probably something related to the front drivetrain not being lubricated properly (at least that is where i would start looking), as to it persisting for a while after shifting back to 2wd, that is normal as the cases do NOT instantly disengage, you push into 2wd and there can be residual tension/load on the gears keeping them engaged, this eventually evens out as you drive and then the t-case lets go, you can facilitate the disengagement by backing up if it bothers you that much but it is not a major concern on most cases

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

But what explains the dash lights not lighting up when I engage the 4WD?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

that is likely a separate problem, could be a burn out light, a bad sensor or a loose wire, fix the important part first and then worry about the light

my $.02

Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
slidinsideways06
Rookie

Yeah, I'm trying to book an appointment with my mechanic Thursday. Might have him look at the transfer case, CVs, and linkage and see if their properly lubricated. Methinks the previous owner hardly used the 4x4 which is odd concerning the fact that it's from the CT.

Quick Reply: 4x4 actually engaging but noisy, and dash indicator light not lighting up.