1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Passenger CV axle 03' XLT 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Pebbles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Passenger CV axle 03' XLT 4x4

So I gotta replace my CV joint and decide its easier to just replace the whole CV axle. Lo an behold, the inner housing will NOT come off the stub shaft. Ive tried prying, hammering, 3 arm puller, wd 40 and heat, nothing will get this housing off!! please help. its my only transport. thank you

Oh and my halfshaft does NOT bolt to my differential. its spline.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep..much better to replace the whole half shaft. Also best to replace both sides. Often the boots get torn and once they are torn, thats when loss of grease and contamination start to happen.

For your situation.. I have no idea. I just pay a shop to do all my work. You'll also need an alignment afters as well I believe.

Tho I got a discount price on labor when I just had the shop rebuild the whole front end. No point in being charged full labor when I was having him replace the brakes/rotors which I paid labor for already -which needs to be done for the CV shaft anyways..

Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Place it in a vice so the collar is on top of the jaw and the CV is hanging down. Get a flat punch and hit it hard with a BFH. You need to get penetrating oil, not WD-40 which is a cleaner made from fish oil. You could also try to freeze it then set it up in a vise like I'm talking about and heat just the ring then beat it out using the punch.

P.S.<--- Watch your feet!

Quick Reply: Front Passenger CV axle 03' XLT 4x4