1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM
dnbinc
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Gear Box

I have sold my '98 Ram v-10 to my son and found a good deal on a 98 Durango. The previous owner said the shop told him it needed a steering gear box and well, it needs something lol.

So I was going to order a steering gear box today and noticed it called for two different ones, with or without snow plow and it says to look on the body for a code. I can't figure out where that code might be, but I did pull the build sheet from Chrysler and I don't see where it was snow plow ready like my Ram's build sheet showed.

So does this mean I need the gear box without snow plow or does it even matter which one i get, because the box with is $40 bucks cheaper.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I've never seen the option from the dealer and I've seen a lot of trucks. I do see at Auto Zone it calls for two just like your talking about. You would think the snow plow version would be heavier duty but it's actually lighter by .6lbs according to their web site. I would take yours in and match it up because there has to be some difference for that much weight.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
dnbinc
Amateur

Yeah was a new one on me too. I've ordered both and we are going to tear it down Saturday and do the comparison.

I will post my findings when I am all done.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Be aware that some of those replacements gears sets are 1/4 turn off of center. So unless you know how to tear it down and re-center the gear they do sell a new pitman arm complete with it offset 1/4 turn to center the steering. You will find out after install when you turn your wheels and one goes further than the other side.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
dnbinc
Amateur

OK so we aren't done yet.. the new gear box was cracked through the bottom and the new replacement came in this morning.

But physically from the outside looking at both boxes, they are identical, so we are just using the non snow plow one because we can't find info anywhere on the Durango that says it is or was ever snow plow ready.

And neither O'reilly's or NAPA sells a pitman arm different form the one I already have, I compared them from every angle possible, so I don't see a reason to buy a different one.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the difference is in the lock-to-lock rotation distance. I'm not sure if one is tighter ratio, or if it just rotates the tires further. I read that it also may be a fixed ratio vs a variable ratio. I never read anywhere that one is stronger than the other.

I looked into all t his because the '98/99 D gearbox is a bolt in replacement for the one in my '93 Jeep, only stronger than the Jeep ones. I swapped one in there to handle my 35" Jeep tires.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 02-12-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Members have talked about having to use them before, I am unsure now where they got them. If you need one I would first try NAPA.

Quick Reply: Steering Gear Box