1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Question about winter driving..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about winter driving..

Hey guys! Since this will be my first winter driving a big SUV (my previous winter beater was an mistu galant that got hydrolocked) I just want to prepare myself for what's to come.

1. Should I put on 4wd all the time when driving on steets and highways?
2. Any winter prep on the truck I should be aware of?
3. Also, I notice the truck brakes better when rotors are cold, but after using it a while they don't stop as good. Is there any remedy for this?

Any other useful info would be great! thanks a lot!

Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Question about winter driving..

1. You only need to run in 4X4 if it is slick, and that is only if you want. It does help if it is slick but, don't think your king of the road.

2. Just have all your fluids checked and changed at the manufactures specs. Check your tires and make sure they are in good condition.

3. Brakes always grab better when they are cold. But if you have some bad wear you should have them checked out. I do my own work and always keep a good eye on my truck.

Just enjoy your truck and have a new experience.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
CaptKidd

On of the things I find helpful is to replace the windshield wiper blades with "snow" blades. Of course if you don't live where it snows it doesn't make any difference. What snow blades are is blades that have a soft rubber boot around the arm part that keeps them from having snow or ice build up in them and therefore work better.

Also make sure your rear window defroster is working and I have used a product called "no fog" on the side windows to keep them clear.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 PM
M Shark
Professional

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I guess winter prep isn't any different than the galant. However the galant did brake better and pedal feel was consistent on either cold and hot rotors. Driving the Durango sometimes scares me as it doesn't handle as good (yes I know its an SUV) and pedal feel is inconsistent so i guess I'll have to drive slower than usual just to get the hang of it.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran

4wd in snow if needed is helpful, but if you ever find that your on ice it could be your worst enemy. Having power to the front wheels on ice can cause them to slide rather than turn and you just lost any shot at trying to steer out of a jam. Best bet is have some weight in the rear end over the drive axle. Best weight is traction sand, I typically carry about 200lbs during the winter. If you do lose all traction you can tear into a bag and spread in front of your tires and you will out in short order. Thats my experience from driving in the winter time in wyoming. Just hope you don't ever need chains like we have to in order to get around at times.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Calpantera

Jason I like the sand idea.

My 02 is GREAT in the snow, a real blast. I would suggest only using the 4x4 when the roads are actually covered in snow and/or it is snowing.

Quick Reply: Question about winter driving..