1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4 WD issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM
tgiorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4 WD issues

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T. My husband and I are not mechanically inclined. We have spent quite a bit of money on this vehicle as we bought it new. The engine had to be rebuilt at 70000, the a/c still isn't working....now the 4WD is a problem. My husband drove it in the snow. Got stuck. Tried 4WD Hi. Unable to get out so left it. He doesn't remember if it was easy to change in to HI or not. When I went out to try to move it the next day, it wouldn't grip in 4 HI..heard something like ice hitting bottom of vehicle...I changed to 4 LO...seemed easy to change...no grinding...not a lot of gas given...was able to move vehicle...stopped...changed to normal 4WD but seemed so easy....so I moved it to anywhere with just a flick of my fingers....was able to drive out of road...but heard the "ice" again...now realize it must be something broken. We are tired of getting ripped off by our local mechanics so if anyone can point us in the right direction so that we know a little bit about the subject prior to talking with them, we would greatly appreciate it....we only have 109000 miles on this thing.. but don't want to keep sinking tons of money into it as it was expensive enough to start with...expected to get 300000 out of it...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If the lever is just slopping around, the mechanism probably came apart. There are little rubber grommets that hold the two metal rods together and when the dry rot they can fall off and let the one metal rod fall off.

Quick Reply: 4 WD issues