1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case drive chain stretched...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM
hausman05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case drive chain stretched...

hello please excuse me, im new to the forum. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L Slt. 219000 miles. Truck runs great had it 4 year no major repairs needed. well maintained. Recently I've been hearing a clicking noise coming from the transfer case. Only does it upon acceleration. Stops when I put it in 4wd. not other noises coming from case. Had the outer seals on both ends replaced 18 months ago. visual inspection of transfer case shows no signs of damage, however case was bone dry took 1 qt of fluid and could probably take a lil more. IM assuming the chain is probably stretched out causing the clicking sound as it hits the outer shell. any way the transfer case is a NP231D. Instead of replacing the entire transfer case I just wanna replace the chain but Im having issues finding which one to get there are a few sizes. I have called the dealership and they don't know what size it is. so does anybody know what size it is? 1inch or 1.25inch or 1 1/8inch. Im going freakin nuts!!!!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are not an R/T model then you should have the NV231. If you get under the truck on the back side of the T-case is a round label with your model on it. Grab all the info you can and call someone at www.sixstates.com they might be able to tell you. Remember to replace the bearings as well and I would get new seals. Basically a master kit, hopefully they can give you some information at least if not send you the part.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
hausman05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I got the new chain (1 1/4 inch) swapped out the chain and checked over everything!! Not one thing wrong with the TC. Looks brand new. But the clicking is still there. I have no idea where its coming from.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So many guys are sooo eager to buy and swap out parts when they have no real proof which part is bad. Can I have a grant? Hydra's post gave more info to check/provide so we could help you better, but you left for a week, apparently in the wrong direction.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 05-01-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, once you had it apart you should have been able to see what gear set is clicking (from the wear on the gears). Could be a number of things and you should have gone through it, possible rebuild. A lot of time it has to do with the output shaft not lining up or worn/unset retainer, or bad bearings/gears.

Quick Reply: Transfer case drive chain stretched...