1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

electric brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 PM
ericcarr2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric brake controller

Ok guys, I purchased an 80's heavy duty boat trailer to be able to haul my sea ray 250 sundancer which weighs 5100 # dry. This trailer has tandem 4700 # axels on it which will be able to hold the weight of the boat. My question is this, the trailer has electric brakes on both axels so I need to install a electric brake actuator. I don't think I have the factory installed towing package so I'm pretty sure I need to do quite a bit of wiring myself. Can anyone give me some insight into this?
Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd look into the FSM, see where the OEM wiring gets connected, then connect to the same places as best you can. If you can't duplicate it, at least you will know what the overall intent should be.

I have the option and know the OEM setup has separate fuses for the trailer lights and brakes.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the factory hitch with the factory 7 pin trailer plug? if you do then there should be a blue plug under the dash near the firewall to plug in the trailer brake controller. Also there is a fuse for the factory trailer wiring in the PDC under the hood. There is also a relay in the PDC for it as well if i remember correctly.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

If equipped the light blue connector is just back behind the E-Brake on the fire wall foot well area. If you have it installed all you need is an electric controller and a pig tail harness 3020-P that connects the two. http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...45&part=3020-P

I like and use Prodigy P2 trailer brake made by Tekonsha. http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...ID=1435&part=0

The brake controller does come with a wire in harness if you don't have a controller light blue connector.

Quick Reply: electric brake controller