1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 PM
twodogs575
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting

Hey guys, my 99 Durango 5.2 has some issues. I recently swamped it. By that I mean I hit a reeeeeaaaallly deep mud hole and sucked mud into the engine. Bent a rod. Installed a junkyard 5.2 from a 99 Ram. Engine runs fine.

Here's my problem. After driving it for (let's say more than 45 minutes) I'll shut the engine off, run into the store, come back out, I turn the key, and nothing. The relay clicks. I check with my test light at the connection between the box with the relays and big fuses under the hood (for lack of a better term) and solenoid and I am getting no voltage. I've tried swapping relays around and still nothing. Then out of nowhere (after cussing and fiddling with every connection I can find to no avail) I'll try the key again and it will start. I have 12 volts at the connection between the big fuse box and solenoid again. I can go out there and start it a hundred times in the driveway, but if I drive it around and shut it off in the most inconvenient place I can find, it won't start! I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
twodogs575
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else. Every time I shut my engine off I hear these clicking noises coming from under the intake. It's not heat dissipation from the metal cooling because it will do it hot or cold. As soon as I shut it off it clicks rapidly and gradually slows down and quits. Lasts a few minutes then stops.
Almost sounds like the injectors are still opening and closing.

Doubt it's related but thought I'd throw it in there.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Try it in neutral and see if it starts. Swap the starter relay with one of the other ones too.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting