1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 durango rear universal replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 durango rear universal replacement!

I have a 2003 durango with 180,000 on it. I believe the u joints are going out on the rear drive shaft, I am going to do both of them while it is out. I have new ones called moogs with the greaseable zerk fitting, is there any special way that the zerk fitting should go.

I herd, but want to confirm, i herd that the zerk fitting goes toward the transfer case, & the other toward the pumpkin/ axles. Note that this is on the rear drive shaft one towards the transfer case and the other end at the rear diff. Also how do I mark it so it goes all back together like it should? Thanks

Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know about the zerk fittings, but doing the u joint is pretty straight forward.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is some information I found on which direction the zerk should be facing. Iam confused!

Back when I was drag racing, a drive line shop showed me how to install the joints. Hold a u-joint with the grease fitting at 1:30 and the caps at 12, 3, 6, and 9. You would put the transmission yoke at 12 and 6, and the driveshaft at 3 and 9. With the grease fitting at 1:30, the transmission is pushing towards 3 and nine, compressing the web with the fitting.

I assume the zirc is at the side, off center at the "x" of the joint. Rotate the joint to were you would try to grease it, and imagine zirc opposite direction of were it is pointing. Would that make room to grease? I am thinking the zirc should always
point away from driveshaft.

A u-joint should be installed with the grease fitting on the compression side of the yoke. What that means is, as the transmission yoke turns, it pushes on the grease fitting as it tries to turn the driveshaft. You don't want the yoke to pull on the webbing of the u-joint where the fitting is. The other end of the driveshaft is the same only the driveshaft yoke pushes on the fitting as it tries to turn the pinion yoke. The grease fitting should be pointing at the yoke with the most clearance, usually the driveshaft.

face the zerk on the rear drive shaft u-joint towards the t-case and the front joint on the rear drive shaft towards the rear axle. (so face them in).
this way you can get to them with a grease gun.

Quick Reply: 2003 durango rear universal replacement!