1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ball Joint Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok got the balljoints in the mail today and got them installed. They all look like the good quality real moog parts, and they all came in moog branded boxes, not white boxes with a sticker on them like some people said the rebranded ones come in. The uppers said made in mexico on the box while the lowers said made in the USA, so no taiwanese crap.

The install went pretty smoothly other than getting off the 1-1/4" cv axle nut (broke a 1/2" drive breaker bar). Including the hour and a half screwing with the axle nut, then going to buy a new breaker bar, and a couple air conditioning breaks (95 and humid today) it took me from noon to 6 to get everything done. There's no more clunking when making tight turns now, so I'm happy.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
gvsu4msu
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Ok got the balljoints in the mail today and got them installed. They all look like the good quality real moog parts, and they all came in moog branded boxes, not white boxes with a sticker on them like some people said the rebranded ones come in. The uppers said made in mexico on the box while the lowers said made in the USA, so no taiwanese crap.

The install went pretty smoothly other than getting off the 1-1/4" cv axle nut (broke a 1/2" drive breaker bar). Including the hour and a half screwing with the axle nut, then going to buy a new breaker bar, and a couple air conditioning breaks (95 and humid today) it took me from noon to 6 to get everything done. There's no more clunking when making tight turns now, so I'm happy.
So are you taking it for an alignment now?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM
that_guy
Champion

It's at firestone as I speak having the alignment checked. I don't think there will be much of a difference at all, but it'll be interesting to see if anything changed (I have the printout from when I got tires and an alignment in April). Luckily I bought the lifetime alignment then so I don't have to pay for it.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
It's at firestone as I speak having the alignment checked. I don't think there will be much of a difference at all, but it'll be interesting to see if anything changed (I have the printout from when I got tires and an alignment in April). Luckily I bought the lifetime alignment then so I don't have to pay for it.
on the Lifetime Alignment.

Hopefully there is no fine print about it only being related to tire work.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
that_guy
Champion

Nah, I told the guy why I was having it aligned and it still didn't cost me anything. Interestingly the camber and caster were still the same, but the toe got changed.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:12 PM
vako
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wht website you order from, i ordered moog from rockauto and it said made in usa, but only lowers

Old 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM
that_guy
Champion

I got lowers from rock auto and the uppers from amazon.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM
vako
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna order uppers from rock auto be interesting if it said made in usa like lowers.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:57 AM
that_guy
Champion

Thought I'd update this thread. I ended up replacing all of the ball joints and tie rod ends with Moog ones. Turns out Moog isn't quite what it used to be, after less than 700 miles the driver's side inner tie rod end had slop in it and was clunking. Rockauto is claiming that Moog's lifetime warranty (which you have to claim through the retailer) doesn't apply to wholesale items, which is BS. Hopefully this week I can argue with them on the phone.

Anyway I ended up putting on a new end from Advance Auto. Hopefully it holds up for a while.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im surprised about 2 things here,

1) moog products going bad so quickly, of course as with any mass produced product there is a chance for bad parts, my guess would be that is what happened hear, it wasnt a catastrophic failure so i wouldnt count them out yet and

2) it took you 2 months to drive 700 miles?? lucky you man!

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Recommendations