1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical frenzy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:05 PM
sarhamac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical frenzy.

We just bought a 2001, (sorry, not sure what engine) and there are a slew of electrical issues, I am wondering if anyone could tell me if they might all be connected somehow, or are we just lucky enough to have multiple issues going on here.

Headlights don't work(turn signals, flashers and parking light do), Interior dome light only comes on in acc mode and only stays on for about a minute, power windows only work from the drivers controls, power locks don't work at all(lights flash when hitting the fob but the locks don't work, and the buttons in the car do nothing as well).

There is a after market remote starter installed, my husband thinks this might be creating some of the issues, but we aren't sure. He's not familer enough with remote starters and doesn't want to make it worse by messing with that. We've checked the fuses and they all seem to be good. all the connections are tight.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to take out the remote start, just remove the wiring that is NOT factory and repair the stock wiring parts where it was connected. It should be pretty obvious from the quality of the wires between stock and wimpy aftermarket stuff.

Other than that, it looks like a textbook Central Timer Module issue to me from what i'm reading. In addition, I would scrutinize the ignition switch connector and the terminals inside the switch itself for melting or heat marks.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-14-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
sarhamac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After, more exploring, It seems like it is the central timer module, and a bad window lock switch. If it is the central timer module, then the remote starter is functioning properly too.

Will try when my husband get home and update if that works.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd check fuses first, but it could be the ctm. Sometimes the window lockout switch can go bad and keep the other window switches from working. There's a guide on how to fix it in the diy section.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhamac
After, more exploring, It seems like it is the central timer module, and a bad window lock switch. If it is the central timer module, then the remote starter is functioning properly too.

Will try when my husband get home and update if that works.

Thanks.

Sometimes people do bad wiring installs. There still remains the possibility the remote start wiring was shoddy and grounding something it shouldn't have. Better safe than sorry. You can always keep notes of which wire goes where on the remote start kit and put it back in later.

Quick Reply: Electrical frenzy.