1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hughes Airgap causing issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hughes Airgap causing issues

So I had purchased the Hughes airgap awhile ago and finally got the chance to install it. About halfway through, I began regretting it and wishing I had left it stock. Not happy at all with the fit/finish and install process, but that is a story for another day.

The issue now is it idles erratically and dies when coming to a stop every time. It reminded me of when if you would try and come to a stop with a manual transmission without pushing in the clutch...the motor would try and compensate and stay running and the result was a bucking idle and eventually the motor dies. As I get closer to a stop, seems to get worse. /if i pop it into neutral, it smooths out. After it dies, it will start back up normal. If I let off the gas at say 35 mph and gradually slow down, (such as coming into town with a lower speed limit) it drops to an idle then fluctuates constantly by about 100 RPM. As I said, when I get closer to a complete stop, it gets much harsher and will die. it idles smooth otherwise and seems to run smooth down the road. It is showing codes for O2 sensors, p0132 0138 and 0141. These just showed up during the install process. I'm not sure if this is a possible culprit.

Couple other possibilities I have come up with:

Possible Leak around fuel injectors?
On of the three sensors on the TB, TPS, IAC, MAP?
One of the requirements of the new intake is relocating the IAT sensor.Another possibility?
Missing a vacuum hose on the intake?

Any insight?

Edit: I know a dying battery likes to cause electrical issues in these trucks, mine is new within the last few months.
I also have cleaned the IAC plunger recently, so if that is the cause then the sensor itself has gone bad somehow.

Last edited by AppelH; 09-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Usually a bad battery/battery connection or a dirty/bad IAC will cause that issue. Could be a vacuum leak or something sine you just messed with the intake though.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You know that intake has been installed by lots of people with no subsequent issues, so I would assume it is either an error somewhere in the overall install, or another now bad part that didn't like being messed with in the process.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to several people who had issues with the install. There are some things that Hughes could have done a much better job of designing. They basically took the intake that was manufactured by Edelbrock and slapped some cheap modifications on to retrofit it to our rigs.

Having said that, I was pretty sure it was something I had overlooked during the install, and sure enough it was. The crossover line between the fuel rails was not seated well enough and it was leaking a small amount of fuel. I can only assume it was sucking in air and causing running issues. I replaced it with the same type of stiff plastic line as it was the only kind my local parts store carried. I made more of an effort to get it seated on the barbs correctly and it looked like I had succeeded, and my idle issue went away. However, the next day I saw it was still leaking although running fine. Went to a different parts store, got soft fuel line and clamps and was able to get the line all the way over the barbs and clamped it on tight. Seems to be holding well now.

I have yet to see power gains, but the relearn process is not finished and I think I have failed O2 sensors holding me back. After I replace those and get some miles on I will report back with results.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 PM
derrick08066
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi just got it putting it on a 408 build with a 50mm throttle body on a 2002 dodge durango will post when it all done to let you all know how it works i was told to stay away from the m1 it no good loose a lot of bottom end and say not cost wise to port factory it does same thing and i am having ecu programing done for all parts put on my dodge dealer say have to have ecu flashed for any thing you do even a could air intake he say have to flash don't know how true it is but i am going for all i can get out of the 408

Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it's your first post Derrick, but...well... I got this from Wiki...

Punctuation
is "the use of spacing, conventional signs, and certain typographical devices as aids to the understanding and correct reading, both silently and aloud, of handwritten and printed texts. In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences."

Last edited by JeeperDon; 09-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Hughes Airgap causing issues