1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Daughters 2000 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM
yellow73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughters 2000 Durango

Daughter bought a 2000 Durango with a 5.2 engine and 160,000 miles was running great then received call that it was running rough and would die every time she put in gear. Went to look at it and the oil pressure gauge needle didn't move when I started it. Checked oil it was fine as a matter of fact it was about a quart high then found out after they pushed it into parking space she checked oil and thought it showed none so she added one. It will start but runs rough and making engine noise one neighbor says its internal another says he thinks its the oil sending unit and the crank sensor along with a bad throttle sensor. Oil was just changed 2 weeks ago and checking oil it looks fine just the normal brown no burnt smell or metal particles and feels real smooth. The guy she bought from said the only code it had was a missfire on #5 cylinder and the engine light went out after he replaced wire. Would hate to pull motor only to find out its a sensor causing it to run rough and the clattering noise. would it be best to buy a code reader and see what codes were showing when this all started just don't want to start it up if its a rod.
Thanks
The only code that came up through Odometer was P0305

Last edited by yellow73; 11-03-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 PM
davebenn52
Amateur

Just a guess but my 99 did the same thing a few years ago and it was a broken valve spring. Really hard to say without hearing it. The oil pressure deal is a question but mine still takes a few before slapping right up to 45 to 50. It takes about 7 to 10 seconds of idle to get there.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd check something simple first. If the computer isn't getting enough power it can cause rough idling, stalling, and possibly the gauges to act up. Give the battery terminals a good cleaning and consider replacing the battery if its old. Cleaning the IAC on the back of the throttle body is a good idea too. Hopefully it's just something simple like that.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
yellow73

Well I think the verdict is in did an oil change after getting out from under vehicle and draining oil into a 5 quart bottle there in the bottom some very small Shiney brass particles when idling you don't hear it but give it gas and something is knocking. Is it worth putting a $1300 longblock in a $2000 car body and interior still looks good.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It's all going to be up to you and if you want to put the time and money into it. That said $1300 is still less than another decent car if you didn't want to fix it. If it were me I'd fix it.

Quick Reply: Daughters 2000 Durango