1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango shuts down immediately after it turns over

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 AM
poopheads
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 durango shuts down immediately after it turns over

My ecu crashed for my 98 durango so i bought another from a wrecker.. same part number except the last number is an f instead of an e.. i understand this means it was just an upgrade.. my durango is a 98 with a 5.2.. my durango wouldnt start at all just cranked and didnt turn over..after i installed the wreckers ecu ..the durango turned over but never stayed running for more than 5 seconds after many attemps..also i noticed the door locks will unlock by hand but not lock and my key fobs dont work.. dont know if it has a factory security system or not.. it also has an aftermarket security system installed.. which i cant figure out how to disable entirely..i have read and talked to some mechanics .. they say i need to get the new computer flashed.. the security system makes it die after starting..is there anyway i can do it myself? A mechanic said theres a way to do it with a battery charger but never told me the specifics on what will happen or how to do it.. he said he can get it started and stay running.. is this possible? Or will he fry my new ecu?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like the PCM you got is one with security.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

x2 on thatguy. Sounds like yours is looking for the security module, which yours probably does not have. It prevents the fuel pump from running like it is supposed to. If they would exchange it, you may have luck with a different one.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM
poopheads

Ok thanks guys! I will try another one.. will the dodge dealer be able to flash this one that i have ,to work with my durango?

Quick Reply: 98 durango shuts down immediately after it turns over