1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Sentry Key and FOB Programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM
aarbehr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sentry Key and FOB Programming

Hey All,
I just bought a 2001 Durango SLT with 5.9. It is sweet! Unfortunately, it only came with 1 key...a bent key. I checked the dealership and they want 118.00 + 65.00 labor for a replacement.
It actually kinda makes my blood boil.
So, I;m reading you can get aftermarket keys online, but in order to program them, you need two originals.
My question is, are there any alternative ways of programming the keys? I've heard of the "taping a key next ti the ignition switch" workaround...and was tickled by it--Alas, this is not something I want to do, but will gladly do this before shelling out almost $200 for a freakin key!

Same question for the FOB.
Thanks in advance!
-Aaron

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I had the same problem with my 01. To program a key without 2 you need a special scan tool like the drbIII tool dealerships have. If you call around to locksmiths some of them have the tool and if you supply the chipped keys(ebay) they will program them for $50 or less. The one I found charged $45 for 1st key and $5 for each additional key, but once you have 2 you can program any more you want yourself. Personally I always keep 4 working sets for all my vehicles.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

additional remote fobs can be programmed with one working fob, the chip keys i am not sure of, i did not have that 'feature' on mine, i just had a regular key, which could be cut for a replacement at your friendly neighborhood home depot

Old 11-22-2014, 11:27 AM
aarbehr

Thanks for the responses...i bought an aftermarket alarm with remote start, I'm just going to use that. For the same price as one dealership fob, less the 65 bucks to program, I got the entire system.

Quick Reply: Sentry Key and FOB Programming