1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

stalling and throwing code p1391

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 02:06 PM
wv99durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stalling and throwing code p1391

Hello all, i recently bought my second Durango. Got it for a great price and now the problems begin. While out the other day started noticing a really bad idle. Within about 15 minutes the engine stalled the first time. I was immediately able to get it restarted. Then about 2 minutes later did it again. Again was able to get it immediately restarted. At that time the check engine light came on. Was able to drive car home with no issues then drove it to auto parts store to check codes. Entire time no issues except for one small buck like system on the way back home. While at the parts store code checked out to be p1391. I have read multiple things about this being the crank sensor or the cam sensor. Can i get some advice on which one I should replace? Should both be replaced. I really cant afford to just throw things at it hoping to fix it. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Before you change any sensors I'd say to make sure the battery connections are good and clean, as bad battery connections or a weak battery can screw with the computer and cause stalling, random codes, and other goofy stuff.

Beyond that, if one of those two sensors is actually bad, 99% chance that it's the crank sensor rather than the cam pickup, the cam pickups don't really go bad all that often. You can always get a cheap crank sensor from the junkyard first and see if that's the problem, then spend the money on a new one.

Quick Reply: stalling and throwing code p1391