1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

shuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
reddingo99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realized that when I drove it home and it turned off, I called them and they told me that they had driven for and hour and a half and " it ran just fine. It must be the way you drive it" I've taken it to a couple more repair shops and they don't know what going on either

Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That still sounds exactly like what my crank sensor did. First time it shut off and then started about 5 minutes later. Thought it was the coil, so I changed that and it drove fine for a week before it did anything again. Thought it might be the computer then, so I got a new one at the junkyard, and again it drove fine for a week before it shut off again. Changed the crank and cam sensors and it's been fine since.

It definitely sounds like something is getting hot and acting up. That more or less narrows it down to computer, crank sensor, cam sensor, or ignition coil. I have heard of crank sensors being bad out of the box for what it's worth.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 PM
reddingo99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the cam sensor don't fix it, I'm going to get a new computer. One time it had turned off and I touched the computer and it was hot to the touch , but that has only happened once. I was hopeing it won't that because there so damn expensive.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Get one from the junkyard. I paid $30 or so for mine.

Quick Reply: shuts off randomly