1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
lynnosler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Vibration

I have an odd theory. I had the hub assembly and CV replaced in my Durango a few weeks ago. When the mechanic took the old CV off to put the new CV on, he showed me that the new one came with a washer that the old one didn't have. I had both CVs replaced a year ago, which probably means the other CV doesn't have a washer either. So now, there is a vibration at 75MPH. My theory and question is... if there is a washer on one side, and not on the other, will that cause an off balance, causing this vibration that was not there prior to the CV replacement?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:24 PM
dxloat
Veteran

If you are talking about the axle washer on the end of the cv axle shafts then no that would not cause an imbalance and vibration. If you replaced the cv axle assembly's a year ago you should not have to replace them again for at least 100000 miles in my opinion for on road driving. A vibration like you describe can be a lot of things but the first culprit I would look at are the cv joints on the drive shafts. There are several cv joints on your truck not just the axle shafts.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 AM
lynnosler
Rookie

I had to replace it again because of an incident. But I have replaced the hub assembly on both wheels twice and one of the back shocks twice. Tired of putting money into this thing. I replaced the shafts and the joints. Has new tires, ball joints, shocks. So I dunno what the vibration could be. Am gonna take it for a front end alignment and see if that helps.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Check for lost weights on the driveshaft too.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 PM
dxloat
Veteran

You have axle shafts on each wheel as well as a front and rear drive shaft down the middle of your truck, all have cv joints that could be causing problems. Going by what you said in your post I have to assume you serviced the axle shafts but not the drive shafts. Like That Guy said above about the weights, drive shafts are balanced and have weights spot welded to them and rarely but possibly can come off and cause an unbalanced condition and vibration. If you had the work you stated recently done I would have recommended an alignment to go with it and wheel balance, which can also cause vibrations.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 PM
lynnosler
Rookie

I am getting the tires balanced and an alignment. Hoping that fixes the problem.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've also had tires that had vibrations no matter how many times they were balanced, so you could rotate tires and see if the vibration follows the tires too.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:05 AM
lynnosler
Rookie

I had the tires rotated last week, yesterday I had the front wheels balanced. I still have a vibration, but it isn't as bad. I am wondering if I should have had the rear wheels balanced too?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Where do you feel the vibration now?

Quick Reply: Front End Vibration