1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ac woes in 01 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Nosch21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac woes in 01 Durango

Alright, so let me start off by saying I live in south Florida and it's starting to get HOT here, 90's almost every day, humidity through the roof. The other day I got in my Durango, started it and got on the highway, about halfway to my destination (around 30 minutes in) I noticed my ac wasn't blowing cold. After determining it wasn't user error, I set about procuring a ac recharge can and valve thinking I just didn't have refrigerant, of course it couldn't be that simple. Hooked the nozzle up to the low pressure part of the system, and it gave me a reading that seems to be overfilled, don't remember what it was but definitely in the red on the valve. It actually wouldn't accept any more, so I actually looked at the compressor and noticed that the clutch on it was not engaging, the pully was spinning, but it was not turning the compressor, this was when the vehicle was running ac as cold as it can be set on the hvac controls, and all the fans (front and rear ac) blowing at max. Let the truck run for an additional 20 minutes and it refused to engage any ideas?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a multimeter and check for power to the clutch connector. If it has power and it won't engage, the clutch is bad.

Quick Reply: Ac woes in 01 Durango