1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'02 Engine Temp Gauge vs '00 Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:35 AM
leebar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Engine Temp Gauge vs '00 Temp Gauge

Greetings fellow Dodge owners. I have not written in a while and thank individuals for past responses. Other threads came close to current issue but not fully. Please advise if anyone has experienced this problem.

I own a 2000 4.7 4 wd and a 2002 4.7 4 wd 1st generation Durango. Lately, the 2000 had an issue with the fan clutch causing a swirling type sound all the time which replacement of fan clutch took care of problem.
Now the '02 engine temp gauge is increasing at idle and during driving down the road with the A/C on. The electric fan comes on to help with the increase of temperature as it is suppose to. However, my 2000 does not increase in engine temp during the same conditions. I compare the '00 against the '02 for operating conditions. Now, knowing the '02 has 230,000K miles and has original water pump, temp switch and radiator, I decided it was time to replace old with new and ready the vehicle for the upcoming fishing season which requires driving on the beach.

Please note; the '02 Durango did not perform like this earlier this summer. This issue of the temp gauge is recent activity. NO CODES!
I do realize the electric fan is suppose to come on during operation of the A/C.

Replaced with new parts are // water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, anti-freeze with distilled water and burped the system. After all that, the '02 engine continues to increase in temp to mid gauge range which turns on the electric fan during idle and driving. However, the 2000 Durango temp gauge does not go into the mid range. Typically, the temp gauge remains about 1/8" to left of center during hot summer days.

I did not replace engine temp sensor because the gauge is working.

Please ask questions as I am sure I may have left something of importance out.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Leebar

Old 08-24-2015, 07:54 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i remember my 02 running pretty much dead center on the gauge, if your worried about it you could take and check the radiator for hot spots(digital infrared thermometer or FLIR camera if you have one) there may be a restriction in there, if not you could put a slightly cool t-stat in the system as this would lower the operating temperature somewhat.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
37fleetwood
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by 37fleetwood; 12-18-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: '02 Engine Temp Gauge vs '00 Temp Gauge