1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango: ABS & BRAKE! light back on after repairs

Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 PM
johnharvard78
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Durango: ABS & BRAKE! light back on after repairs

This is a long one, but described in detail for accuracy:

One day while driving the ABS & BRAKE! lights came on (at the same time), and stayed on.
I noticed that they both simultaneously turned off whenever I turned the steering wheel full-right (in forward or reverse), but then came back on, together, when I straightened out.

Left it like this for a few weeks while I read multiple posts on various forums. Speedometer was fine under 20km/hr so I ruled out the rear speed sensor. I came to the conclusion that it was the front-right speed sensor and took it to my mechanic to get replaced.
When I told my mechanic to change the front right speed sensor, he said he’ll check it out. The next day he tells me he can’t pull any codes off the Durango ‘cuz there’s a P0601 code, and he wants to address that first. I reminded him he went through 3 remanufactured PCMs already when the “NO BUS” appeared on my dash, and the Durango died. During that ordeal he put in a remanufactured PCM and the “NO BUS” was gone, and the Durango came back to life, but the P0601 was still there so we went through 3 remanufactured PCMs to get rid of the P0601. No dice. As a result, I now had to live with a constantly flashing amber LED on the heated-mirror button, and a non-functioning amber LED on the AC-button, even tho’ that was never a problem before (AC works fine, I just have no LED indication if it’s on or off anymore). I lived with it. He remembered that and said, “Ok, I’ll have my guys look at it.”

I said, “First let me take it to the dealer and see if a mechanic there will give me some more insight.” Took it to the dealer and an off duty mechanic confirmed that the symptoms I outlined to him would be the result of a bad speed sensor in the front right. I bring it right back to the mechanic and tell him it’s the sensor. He says he’ll have his guys look at it.

Two days later I get a call from my mechanic saying it’s not the speed sensors cuz his guys checked out all the wiring and the resistance is fine. He says it’s the ABS module and a used part is CAD$1200 (im in Canada at the moment). I take it back from him, paid CAD$160 for his “inspection”, and ordered a remanufactured part from eBay (EXACT same Part #), that runs me CAD$320, thanks to the weak Canadian dollar, shipping, duties, and import taxes. Three minutes to switch em out. No dice.

Called up my mechanic right away to give him the news, and he says he can’t pull the ABS/BRAKE codes and would have to take it to his guy at a dealership, but there will be a fee for that from his buddy.

I take it myself to the dealer, wait 2 days, paid CAD$120, and the result was “no front-right sensor/hub,” everything else ok. The dealer will fix it for CAD$820 (the replaced part will be a new front-right hub & sensor that costs CAD$511). I pay the CAD$120 and go straight to my mechanic with the diagnostic print out (no prices on the sheet).

My mechanic said he’ll have to try and replicate those codes himself before he changes the hub/sensor. I say “no, just change it out straight away.” He tells me it’s an expensive part. I told him I’ve seen it online cheap, and it’ll be the quicker & cheaper to just change it out now. He says “Ok, bring me the part and ill put it on, next week”

I go straight to NAPA: sensor CAD$50, hub & sensor CAD$95. I buy hub & sensor.

The next week he puts on the new parts but the ABS & BRAKE! light is not gone, he said he couldn’t clear it and it’ll need a dealer reset. Before I turn the Durango on I paid the CAD$150 for his 2hrs labor then I go to the Durango, hold the odometer button while turning the key (not turning the engine on), and let the ‘gauge-check/test’ work its thing. The ABS & BRAKE! lights are now gone. Finally, after CAD$845 the problem is fixed!

Two weeks later—today—the ABS & BRAKE! lights come back on as I reverse out of a parking space, and are now permanently on.
I check the P-codes and there’s a new P0108 now. I disconnect the battery (-) terminal a few times, do the gauge-check/test thing a few times. ABS & BRAKE! lights still on, but P0108 is cleared.

Any thoughts?

P.S. the only fishy thing since the repair was the CHECK GAUGES light would come on and off with a “ding” sound AFTER the car drove its first mile in the AM. I noticed the Temp Gauge needle was below the farthest-left white line, and when the engine warmed up and the needled moved, the CHECK GAUGES light turned off. This happened 4x, but no P-codes when I checked it out.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:29 PM
johnharvard78
Amateur

UPDATE: Took the Durango out first thing for a carwash and vacuum. As on command, after the first mile, “ding;” CHECK GAUGES comes on, then goes off. Then comes back on, and goes off (all a few seconds apart while stopped at a red light). Then it came back on so I looked carefully at all gauges and the oil gage was to the far left, as if it was dead. The needle on the oil gauge then came back to life and the light went away, did this 3 times in succession, all while at the red light. When it turned green I cleared the intersection and pulled over.

Checked for P-codes using the turn key x3 method…nada. Then did the gauges-check/test using the odometer button and key. Turned the car on and drove away, all lights gone, so far the whole day.

What gives? Anyone know what this problem is, or could be?

Thanks in advanced!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 PM
johnharvard78
Amateur

So I check my fluids and the Tran & Oil were both on the low side so I topped off with ATF +4, and did an oil change with K&N filter and Royal Purple 5w30.

Drove nice for 100mi but this morning the D puttered and stalled when I came to a stop sign, turned it back on and kept going...revved it hard for a bit and issue was gone all day.

Car sat for a few hours then when out this evening....again it puttered and wanted to die at the red light but I threw it in Neutral and revved it, was shaking for 1/2mi. then totally fine rest of the journey & back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Durango: ABS & BRAKE! light back on after repairs