1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Blocked everywhere but here

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Alan LaMastus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocked everywhere but here

Ok so apparently i cant not post anywhere on this site but here but either way i have a question that i hope someone can help so i dont have to buy alot of parts or spend as much time looking around.

couple days ago nephew threw my durango 5.9R/T into reverse then stright into drive wile hitting the gas to avoid getting hit by an idiot who he should have ran over.. but in any case now the 4wheel drive grinds when driving and when i try to manually move the shifter for 4hi 4Low awd option it use to grind gears if i was not in park now it does nothing i can drive down the road and move it freely and nothing or in park shortly after hearing the grinding noise wail driving down the road and trying to shift n use the manual shift option at a gas station i nodiced oil is pouring out of appears to be my front axle i added oil and drove 15 miles to my house and have not moved it since but a large puddle of oil is under my truck and now i have no way to work and he has no way to collage as we live in the country and his collage is over a hour drive to the next city we are looking at losing our jobs collage funds and loan payback for the collage if he miss's more days and prob the house -,- in a real pickle here and short on cash wanted to know if anyone could tell me whats most likely to have broken in the front drive when he nutral droped it

Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 AM
gerry92
Professional

Howdy Alan, not sure about posting but you can visit the Durango section for help on fellow owners there.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

not sure what year this is but it sounds like you are describing a setup on a 98-00 truck,

if you hvae oil leaking from the front axle the first step is to figure out wher eon the axle its leaking from, if its from the diff cover take it off, inspect the gears inside and put a new gasket on a fill er back up. Chances are nothing in the front end is broken unless you had the 4x4 engaged when the incident happened.

as for the transfer case not engaging any gears i would start by crawling underneath and checking to see if the manual linkage between the case and the lever is intact, the bushing are prone to wear and disintegrate (they are just rubber) over time and that causes all sorts of issues with shifting.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:23 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It sounds like two separate issues to me at the moment. You need to figure where/why oil is leaking and also why you are having problems shifting. Inspect the linkage between the shifter and case, and look for the oil leak.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
HD Dakota

linkage, as said before.. and the grinding noise.. i had that problem on my 2000 Dakota and the splines where striped on the half shaft going into the diff on passenger side... if this is your case when getting new shaft double check that the c-clip groves are exactly the same measurement as on the old shaft sometimes there off by 1/16th and wont clip into the spider gear. you will have to change the c-v shaft also as the half shaft wont come out of the c-v shaft. also i would change the other side while you have the differential open and gears out. parts are fairly cheap .

Quick Reply: Blocked everywhere but here