1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Speakers question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers question

I have a '99 Dodge Durango SLT with what I believe is the Mitsubishi Radio/CD/Cassette player. It has a cassette player, single CD slot and a joystick for balance & fade.

Radio in DeeDee

In the front doors, I have the 6.75" speakers and the separate small tweeters. The back doors have just the 6.75" speakers. Both left-hand speakers don't work and I want to replace all four.

I don't know what the power output and impedance of this radio so I'm not sure what to buy as replacements. I'm looking for cheap speakers - I normally listen to NPR so ultra hi-fi is not needed. I want to keep it to under $200 for all four. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_DeeDee
I have a '99 Dodge Durango SLT with what I believe is the Mitsubishi Radio/CD/Cassette player. It has a cassette player, single CD slot and a joystick for balance & fade.

Radio in DeeDee

In the front doors, I have the 6.75" speakers and the separate small tweeters. The back doors have just the 6.75" speakers. Both left-hand speakers don't work and I want to replace all four.

I don't know what the power output and impedance of this radio so I'm not sure what to buy as replacements. I'm looking for cheap speakers - I normally listen to NPR so ultra hi-fi is not needed. I want to keep it to under $200 for all four. Any suggestions? Thanks
Check crutchfield.com. They will set you up with exactly what you need.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:29 AM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jkeaton - thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, Crutchfield has only one suggestion for speakers and at $140 per pair, is definitely more than what I want to spend.

Thanks anyway!

Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon all the way. I got 4 speakers and two tweeters all Alpine for like 120 two years ago. But that's where the good deals are. Mine didn't have tweeters from factory, but i cut the holes for them. Don't know how aftermarket tweeters might fit in the factory holes. May not be a good idea to replace those if they still work. And to your other question, if you're keeping the factory radio, lower wattage speakers are better. Factory radio probably puts out 20-40 watts per channel. You're not gonna find aftermarket speakers that low. So just get the lowest watt speakers you can get for price/quality

Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_DeeDee
@jkeaton - thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, Crutchfield has only one suggestion for speakers and at $140 per pair, is definitely more than what I want to spend.

Thanks anyway!
My point being you would crutchfield would help you identify which speakers will work, then you research the specs of the recommended speakers to find the answers to your question. Then buy them from whoever you now that you know.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Chances are you're going to have the infinity amplified system. What speakers you'll want Well you have the amplified infinity system. If you want to keep the amplifier you'll want 2ohm speakers and if you want to bypass it you can use anything. You still can use 4ohm speakers with the amplifier, the volume will just be lower.

Quick Reply: Speakers question