master cylindar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:55 AM
rockgod
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default master cylindar?

Hello guys and gals,
Looking for some guidance and you guys have always been spot on.
Wifes 01 4.7 2wd D 100k miles lost brakes. Truck hasn't moved much since end of school year (early june) but only a couple times. Had to move it across the street for street cleaning and as I was trying to put it in park, the brake pedal dropped all the way to the floor. I had the pedal depressed the usual amount and my foot just dropped to the floor. Waay father than usual. Brake and ABS dash lights came on instantly. I couldn't get it in park at all. Had to leave it in reverse and put the parking brake on. Brakes do hold it, but only pressed as far down as the pedal goes. As I had the pedal pressed (all the way to the floor) in neutral, I tried to push it a bit and it wouldn't budge. So I left it in reverse with parking brake on for now.
I don't trust the brakes at all at this point.
I checked brake fluid and it's still full. Pumping the brakes had no affect...every pump is loose as the pump before.
Pumped it a good 15-20 times and checked each caliper and no sign of leakage or even drops of fluid at the bleeders or along the lines.
I'm thinking master cylinder went out. That's what controls hydraulics right?
Anyone think otherwise? Or have anything else I can check?
Trying to make this truck last at least 2 more years without dumping too much money into it so as usual any help or tips are greatly appreciated

Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

sounds like master cylinder to me.
you could get the service brake and abs codes read just to verify....you will need a full function scan tool capable of reading chassis codes.

Quick Reply: master cylindar?