1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just bought a 2001 Durango, and I have somequestions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is some truth to replacing the heads stressing the lower but usually on higher milage engines ( I stress the word ""some") In my opinion when a mechanic tells you that you need to replace a head or the engine I always suggest getting that 2nd opinion from the dealership.

Far as the heater vent issue you are having there is plenty of info on the forum that can help you with that.. It may be in the sticky """do it yourself" if not a simple search on blend doors.
(( blend doors is what you are having a problem with when it comes to not being able to change the flow of air)

Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Fox234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've decided to replace the motor, but I had a quick question. What would I need to upgrade the motor to the 5.9 V8? I assume the computer, and maybe suspension, but what else?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

to put a 5.9 into a truck that came with a 4.7 you will need (as fas i can remember right now, it may be more stuff)
motor
transmission
t-case
motor mounts
tranny mounts
wire harness
PCM
possibly drive shafts (im not sure on this one)
and you will have to do some fancy wire work to get the dashboard hooked up iirc.

all in all its not worth the time/money you will spend over just putting anew 4.7 into it.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you were going to move to another engine and go through that trouble, why not a Hemi?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Fox234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
If you were going to move to another engine and go through that trouble, why not a Hemi?
Actually, I'd love to do that. My roommate has a 2013 RAM Hemi and it's an amazing machine. I just assumed the 5.9 Magnum would be easier motor to replace a 4.7 Magnum. I was hoping it would be a simple engine swap. New computer, harness, some mounts, etc. Since I have to replace the transmission, and transfer case though I might just do a Hemi. I've been calling mechanics, and pulling favors for the last 2 weeks lol.

I assume I'd need the same parts to replace the Hemi though, or would I need more?

Side question. I've been looking at the build sheet, and I can't find info on some of the items.

26G customer preferred package 26G
2TG customer preferred package 2TG

Do you know what was in these packages?

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2001 Durango, and I have somequestions.