1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Introduction - TrevorWA

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:50 PM
TrevorWA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Introduction - TrevorWA

Howdy!

It's a neighborly thing to introduce oneself before posting. I recently bought a 1998 Durango SLT 4x4. I need it to drive up into the snow and across the Cascades this winter.

It has the 5.9l V8, RE46 transmission, 3.55 rear end with open diff (as far as I know). I believe the 4x4 is working, because I put it on a patch of gravel in 4wd FT and floored it and all four wheels left a mark.

The body has 250k miles; however the engine and transmission allegedly have only 43k miles on them. A compression test revealed 160 to 170 psi across the board. Fixed a few vacuum leaks and now it idles smoothly.

It had been leaking a foot-wide of a puddle of both ATF and power steering fluid. so today I replaced the power steering pump and transmission pan gasket. (Also PS hoses and AT filters while I am at it).

As far as I can tell pretty much everything is working but Anti-Lock brakes. Someone pulled the relay and dash lights (the power steering pump keeps buzzing when I put the relay back. That one I missed when I bought it. However, it was $1500, and I am in $160 in parts.

I wonder whether I should get limited-slip and a remanufactured Anti-Lock controller module.

I have already found some useful information on this site and thank you all for that help. I hope to contribute some time in the future the more I get to know and work on this vehicle.

Trevor,
from Seattle, WA

Edit: I just noticed I posted in the wrong place. Should have gone to New Members. I apologize.

Last edited by TrevorWA; 10-08-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:27 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome... there are a couple places that rebuild abs controllers if you search around on here.

Quick Reply: Introduction - TrevorWA