1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 durango rt AC hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Greasemykey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 durango rt AC hot

So my AC blows ice cold when I'm driving. But if I come to a stop it gets hot and you hear the compressor kick off. Now I know what you're thinking. Check the electric fan and relays stupid. But that's just it. The fan works fine. AC has a proper charge and doesn't short cycle until it gets hot and it's the pressure switch turning it off. Now my question is how much does the mechanical fan play into condenser cooling? It's not locking up like it should when it's hot out so the thought process here is that since the clutch isn't locking up it's not moving the air that it should. But one would think that the electric fan should be enough.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Greasemykey
So my AC blows ice cold when I'm driving. But if I come to a stop it gets hot and you hear the compressor kick off. Now I know what you're thinking. Check the electric fan and relays stupid. But that's just it. The fan works fine. AC has a proper charge and doesn't short cycle until it gets hot and it's the pressure switch turning it off. Now my question is how much does the mechanical fan play into condenser cooling? It's not locking up like it should when it's hot out so the thought process here is that since the clutch isn't locking up it's not moving the air that it should. But one would think that the electric fan should be enough.
The mechanical fan is still the primary cooling fan, the electric one is just a helper. A weak clutch could be the problem. Keep in mind the compressor also spins slower at idle than while driving too, so it won't be cooling as well. If you do end up replacing the clutch, it's probably worth getting a oem mopar one. I went through several clutches a few years back, and all of them would lock up constantly and make the thing sound like a dumptruck. I ended up going full electric for my cooling.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Greasemykey

The clutch fan is barely moving. The electric fan is pulling well but the condenser is staying heat soaked. With water on it my low side pressures are perfect. Let her sit and they climb and the pressure switch shuts it off.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 AM
mendezac1
Default AC problem

I have the same problem with my 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 SLT. When driving its great but on a long red light the cold air drops to nothing. And I can see the temperature rise. I'm going to replace the fan clutch to see the outcome. Well Let everyone know in several days.