1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help. Limp mode no check engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 AM
Jeremy Johnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Limp mode no check engine.

OK so for starters. i have a Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4

A couple months ago i was on my way to work and suddenly while driving my rpm's started climbing as i pressed on the gas but i wasn't moving any faster or going anywhere. needless to say i stopped and managed to turn around and coast 90% of the drive down hill to my house. i did manage to limp it home. However there was no check engine light. i parked it and let it sit and used my 94 Toyota pickup i just put a new engine in instead. however that truck is a single cab and doesn't fit my family of wife and 3 kids. i'm about to move and need to get my durango up and running.

just drove the truck down the street in Drive. seemed ok but after about 1/2 mile it was obvious it entered limp mode again. drove it back home and then tried to put it in reverse. nothing reverse apparently doesn't work in the limp mode i'm experiencing. maybe i could put it in park then to reverse and see if that works or neutral then reverse. haven't tried that. anyway i put it in first and it went right into gear no problems. put it in second on the shifter and was fine as well.

the RPM / Tachometer is functioning and my speedometer is fine as well.
i have 20 days and don't want to spend a bunch of time and too much money unnecessarily before i move. so with no codes to be had as far as i can tell then should i just replace the PCM for $300 lifetime warranty? or does anyone have a diagnosis procedure to find the problem with no check engine light? i dont want to drop the tranny this late in the game.

option 2 is i take it to the shop and hope to god they find the problem and pay whatever i have to plus hope it makes it half way across the country with no further issues. Basically buy a rebuilt trans or a new one and have them put it in.

Any input is appreciated. thanks!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Check your tranny fluid, sound like you are low. If thats not it you may have to drop the pan and do a visual inspection as well as adjust the bands.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:30 AM
Jeremy Johnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. The most recent update I have is as follows. The tranny fluid level when checked in neutral while running on level ground is normal. However I'm not so sure because I looked under the vehicle and discovered transmission fluid on the pan and seems to be coming out at the joint where the transmission bolts to the engine. Also to make things worse. While in neutral when I was checking transmission fluid level the transmission began making a not so good sound. So I put it in park and turned it off.

At this point I need someone who knows a bit more about transmissions then I do. We don't have those on aircraft and I'm still a relatively new aircraft mechanic. Sadly this is a bit beyond me now.

Anyway I want to say yes it's a transmission fluid thing. But it seems to me I either have a bad seal somewhere and my fluid won't pressurize correctly or it has a clog somewhere and can't circulate properly. That would be my guess at this point.

Guess I'll be dropping the transmission after work at the auto shop where my friend works. Thank God he really knows his stuff about automotive. Will keep everyone posted. Also if anyone has any ideas pointers or recommendations I'm always eager to learn. Thanks.