1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM
kk25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 durango wont start

Hope someone can answer this for me.
The last few weeks I've been having problems with my durango. Ill start from the beginning. Since I bought it in sept 2016 it has been idling pretty hard and sounds like it shifts late when I drive it (sounds like it is up in the 4000's but the dash only shows ~2000-2500rpm before shifting). This past winter, it also seemed like it needed to prime for a few minutes before starting or else it wont start in extremely cold weather (~10F). The code "p0016" popped up (crankshaft/camshaft correlation) when I went to have the check engine light checked. Up until recently those have been my only problems, not hindering me from driving to work. Ive been trying to save up money to pay for these issues but it began to have issues I could no longer wait on. I drove it to work a couple weeks ago and it turned off while I was at a stop, and then turned off while driving down the raod a day or two later. So I took it in to a mechanic to get that checked and replace the exhaust manifold: the mechanic said that the timing was off by about ~21 deg. He replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensor but that didn't kick the code. He recommended I would need to take it to the dealership to get a better look at it, and also to get a PCM reprogram. He also said the battery seemed a little low, and to drive it around for a little while after picking it up (which I did). Up until yesterday it had been starting normally. I tried to drive it to work yesterday and started up and after about 10 seconds, died. So I tried turning it on again: same thing happened, but after only about 5 seconds. A few more tries and it kept starting up and dying immediately. I thought the heat may be adding to the problem (it was ~95F outside). Tried to turn it on this morning and now all of the lights turn on but it wont even crank. It has also been fairly hot during the day (90F+), all of the dash sensors (coolant, oil pressure, battery, fuel) are at normal levels. I replaced the starter, head gasket, and spark plugs among a few other things, back in September. Oil and coolant are both at normal levels. Air filter is clean. Automatic Transmission. 4.7L
Thanks for reading this wall of text and I hope somebody has some insight. My thought is it may be the alternator or somethings with fuel line/fuel pump. I am towing it this afternoon to oreillys to check the alternator.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kk25
Hope someone can answer this for me.
The last few weeks I've been having problems with my durango. Ill start from the beginning.

Since I bought it in sept 2016 it has been idling pretty hard and sounds like it shifts late when I drive it (sounds like it is up in the 4000's but the dash only shows ~2000-2500rpm before shifting). This past winter, it also seemed like it needed to prime for a few minutes before starting or else it wont start in extremely cold weather (~10F). The code "p0016" popped up (crankshaft/camshaft correlation) when I went to have the check engine light checked.

Up until recently those have been my only problems, not hindering me from driving to work. Ive been trying to save up money to pay for these issues but it began to have issues I could no longer wait on. I drove it to work a couple weeks ago and it turned off while I was at a stop, and then turned off while driving down the raod a day or two later. So I took it in to a mechanic to get that checked and replace the exhaust manifold: the mechanic said that the timing was off by about ~21 deg.

He replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensor but that didn't kick the code. He recommended I would need to take it to the dealership to get a better look at it, and also to get a PCM reprogram. He also said the battery seemed a little low, and to drive it around for a little while after picking it up (which I did). Up until yesterday it had been starting normally. I tried to drive it to work yesterday and started up and after about 10 seconds, died.

So I tried turning it on again: same thing happened, but after only about 5 seconds. A few more tries and it kept starting up and dying immediately. I thought the heat may be adding to the problem (it was ~95F outside). Tried to turn it on this morning and now all of the lights turn on but it wont even crank. It has also been fairly hot during the day (90F+), all of the dash sensors (coolant, oil pressure, battery, fuel) are at normal levels.

I replaced the starter, head gasket, and spark plugs among a few other things, back in September. Oil and coolant are both at normal levels. Air filter is clean. Automatic Transmission. 4.7L
Thanks for reading this wall of text and I hope somebody has some insight. My thought is it may be the alternator or somethings with fuel line/fuel pump. I am towing it this afternoon to oreillys to check the alternator.

Paragraphs go a long way for readability.

Anyway, sounds like you might have a bad battery or battery connections. That can cause all kinds of problems from stalling to random fault codes.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 on replacing the battery before doing anything more expensive, especially if the batter is more then 3 years old or so, they only have a life expectancy of 4 years to begin with.