1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 dodge durango 5.9 starting problems - one click

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:45 PM
jamvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 dodge durango 5.9 starting problems - one click

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9 115K miles.

Have been having issues starting lately. I would turn key, the starting relay clicks ONLY once, but no crank from starter. This had been periodically happening, sometimes it would take 2 or 3 times before it would final crank and start, which the starter doesn't hang or sound bad, in fact it sounds good when it finally starts. Now it won't start at all, luckily it is in my driveway now. But I managed to get it started to turn it around in the driveway after about 20-30 times of turning key. It seemed that if I wiggled the key it would start sometimes, but I think that was just coincidence or maybe not.... don't know.

Steps I've taken so far:

- Replaced the ignition switch in steering column, that did nothing, so I returned the part and put the old one back in.
- Switched replays in fuse box to see if relay was bad, it works fine.
- Battery was not good so I've installed a new battery now
- Cleaned terminal connection clips for battery

Still will not start. So am I safe to assume the solenoid is going bad? The problem is the solenoid is attached to the starter so it looks like I will need to just replace the starter.... But I don't want to assume that is the problem, is there any other options I haven't tried that would solve this issue. I'm trying to do the starter as a last result due to the time and pain involved in replacing it.

Would an ignition coil cause this issue? What about the key cylinder?

What are anyone's thought on this who have experienced this?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:18 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2¢... If it clicks, the key is fine. If the battery is good and the connections are good, it's the starter motor, even if it sounds ok.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:34 AM
jamvan

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
My 2¢... If it clicks, the key is fine. If the battery is good and the connections are good, it's the starter motor, even if it sounds ok.
So the ignition coil wouldn't cause this issue either?

What about an ignition cap and rotar? I know that has not been changed since I bought it used. I changed the spark plugs and wires though.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ignition coil wouldnt cause this neither would cap and rotor, they would potentially cause a long crank or slow start due to weak spark, but not a no crank condition whic you describe.

The starter sounds fine when its turning over, but its NOT wanting to turn over, chances are good (especially if its the original starter) that the brushes are worn out, and if they arent making consistent enough contact to start turning the starter over, but once its moving its fine.

I agree that it sounds like the starter motor is bad (the click you hear is the solenoid engaging)

Old 05-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly what happened to mine a couple years back. The starter sounds like the issue. That's how they go a lot of the time. Intermittently. You'll hear the solenoid click but no turn. So it's either in the starter motor, or the solenoid is no longer making proper contact to feed power to the starter. Either way, it's all one contained unit and you have to replace the starter.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 PM
jamvan

UPDATE: It ended up being the starter, bought a Carquest NEW one and so far so good. Had to have a shop install it because for some reason the videos online made it look so easy to get at it through the wheel well, but I had no room to get at it at all. Costs me only $80 to have done so I was okay with that. Thanks for all the replies and hopefully this post helps someone else.

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge durango 5.9 starting problems - one click