DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Oli consumption (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/416042-oli-consumption.html)

George Genovezos 07-07-2018 03:33 PM

Oli consumption

Hi all,

I have a 2000 5.2 durango. I'm going through a quart every 2 weeks. any ideas what this might be? I don't see any oil leaks on the ground, no smoke at idle or starting off a red light or anything.

Thanks

JeeperDon 07-07-2018 04:03 PM

Check the antifreeze. Do you park outside and maybe pissed off neighbors are messing with you? :icon_mad:

George Genovezos 07-07-2018 04:43 PM

Coolant is brown, even though I replaced the thermostat and got most of the old brown water out and replaced it with 50/50 preston and water, and I do need to add from time to time. It's not as bad as the oil consumption.

Could be my neighbors. It's not easy being this awesome and driving a dodge. Haters are going to hate.

shrpshtr325 07-09-2018 07:02 AM

coolant should be green . . .

if its turning brown you need to flush the system, a possibility is a bad headgasket causing coolant and oil to mix, does the coolant have an oily film on it?

jkeaton 07-09-2018 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 (Post 3400269)
coolant should be green . .

This... ^^^

George Genovezos 07-09-2018 09:41 AM

coolant should be green . . .

Agreed. I replaced the thermostat, and flushed all the lines to and from the heater core and back into the block, and radiator, but as soon as I filled it with coolant more brown gunk. I need to do a flush and drain the whole block. WHere is the drain on these things?

if its turning brown you need to flush the system, a possibility is a bad headgasket causing coolant and oil to mix, does the coolant have an oily film on it?

No the coolant isn't oily. I don't see any bubble coming out of the coolant when the engine is running so I don't think it's a head gasket.

HeyYou 07-10-2018 04:26 PM

There are plugs that screw into the bottom of the block, just above the oil pan rail, kinda in the middle of the block.

For the oil consumption, have a look down your throttle body. See oil on the bottom of the intake? That's where it's going. And the truck won't necessarily smoke either.

George Genovezos 07-11-2018 11:28 AM

Thanks, I'll drain it asap.

I have not looked down the TB yet. I'll take a good look and let you know. What's your thought process?

Dodgevity 07-12-2018 08:09 AM

Have you gotten under the truck and inspected the underside of the engine? That much oil has to show somewhere.

HeyYou 07-12-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by George Genovezos (Post 3400654)
Thanks, I'll drain it asap.

I have not looked down the TB yet. I'll take a good look and let you know. What's your thought process?

The intake manifold on your truck is two pieces. There is a gasket between the two pieces, that is a known failure point. We have a thread dedicated to that particular problem in the 2nd gen ram section.