1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

volt gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default volt gauge

I just noticed my volt meter slightly go past the usual 14 volt mark? Is this a sign that my battery may be in trouble? Or is this caused by the very cold weather outside? (32-40 degrees) Normally my volt meter is slightly below 14 volts (13.8 volts presumably)

Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 PM
brownhouse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: volt gauge

I believe there are two things right off that will cause this. Yes, if the battery is getting old, the cold weather will help it along to it's end. However, if the battery is still working since your post, 9 days, I suspect it's not gone yet. Check the condition of your battery terminals. Our D. did that exact same thing this past weekend but it pegged out at 18 volts. We stopped at a store, started back home and at first it was normal. Then it maxed out again. I was thinking the battery was going but fortunately when I raised the hood to flush the heater core (see 2000 w/no heat) I saw the pos. battery post was covered with the white powder that forms. It was really heavy. I took the cable loose and using a wire brush cleaned it all up. Since then the volt meter has stayed right were it's suppose.
Maybe this will be useful to you. I hope it's that easy.

Dwight

Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Kensai
Champion

Thanks, I am monitoring, it has been flucuating back and forth from normal to just above 14 volts. My battery cables are CLEAN! When I changed out my battery, I always install those anti-corrosive pads and then spray some protective spray to prevent the terminals from oxidizing. It's a top of line walmart battery. Hope it goes out soon as I am nearing the end of my free 3 year exchange warranty.

I think because this battery is way smaller than the OEM battery, I had to use the plastic extension that comes with this battery to raise it up. When this happens, the temperature sensor that monitors the battery activity is disconnected so the computer do not really know what is going on with the battery.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I find it is always to buy a bigger than OEM is better. I run at 14 Volts sense I've bought the truck. My battery was fully charged and I still ran at 14 volts. At least you know that your alternator is working fine. I hate Wal-Mart batteries. I always buy mine at Autozone, They have the best warranty and I think the best battery for cheap prices.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Kensai
Champion

I only bought that battery from Walmart because it is only a couple blocks from the house! This is walmart battery #2. First walmart battery went out in just over a year. Luckily I was at the walmart when the battery died. So far, this 2nd battery held up and my 3rd year will be over summer 06. Walmart batteries aren't too bad, I like their 3 year free exchange. I only paid $50 or less for it.

If Sears were close to the house, I would buy a diehard battery with the dual power function! A friend had one of those and boy, it save our butts when we are stuck in the middle of nowhere for someone to give us a jumper!

Who knows, maybe my next battery, I'll definitely get a battery as big as the OEM just so I have plenty of reserve power as these Durangos has alot of power options that may drain the battery quickly.

Quick Reply: volt gauge