1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ASD - out of the blue engine shut off - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Retired-297
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASD - out of the blue engine shut off - FIXED

Adding my two bits to this problem, starting about the 1st week of May 2019, my 02 Durango (Fully Loaded - the works) started to shut off, 1st was warming up in the driveway, than over the next few weeks it happen again at idling, parked. The last time was actual driving and we lost brakes and steering. In all case's it restarted right off, we looked up post here and found many who had the problem, but few who actually fixed it, even some where dealers could not figure it out. Having the Factory Service Manual we started with the ASD and what triggers it and the modes the PCM runs in 'OPEN or CLOSED' and what inputs for each of them.

What we found is that the input from the Crankcase and camshaft position sensors will cause the ASD to shut down the injectors and coils to prevent engine damage in all modes, open or closed. There's a whole lot more to the system and inputs, but these were the most common in each case in my search for the cause.

As luck had it, the 1st sensor I pulled was the camshaft, and the contact plug was filled with engine oil, should not be there as it's a seal plug where the pins are. Best we can figure is the sensor housing overheated and oil was inside the sensor ending in causing the position sensor to misread at times- something like that. I replaced the crankcase and camshaft position sensors as a pair as they do work hand in hand. Also, get contact cleaner and clean all oil from the plug, soak it if you can or replace it.

We also checked all contact plugs to all other sensors and at the CTM, PMC and all. Checked coils (Ohms) and replace plugs - just because we had it all apart anyways, so why not. Bottom line is the only problem found was the 'camshaft position senor' and as a note it tells the injectors when to fire as well as the coils.

Now why with all the computers they can hook up at the dealers they could not fine a bad sensor, hell some of them can tell what bulb is burned out. Only can figure from the post I read is that they have no "CODE" to tell they what was wrong and are not old school and don't know how to troubleshoot the old fashion way and I'm not talking about buying and replacing parts tell you get luckily and happen to replace the bad one. Everything works a certain way and once you can follow that order sooner (we would hope) or later your find the cause or break down. ANYWAYS....

I will say, there is a bit of luck here, but only after lots of research and reading tons of post with the same type of problem.

Question is, 'What system shut down the engine?' The SKIM keys would start the engine and shut it down after about 2 seconds if that was bad or a bad key, not run for 20-30 or more minutes before shutting down, next is why is there no "CODE" recorded? even a misfire spark plug generates a code. And it seamed to happen after warm up in most case's, it did for me, and the engine would start right back up. Common inputs was the starting point, and as this happen only once driving, did not seam likely that the trans speed sensors came into play (did check the connections anyways) or the O2 sensor.

13 Jul 2019; Ready to fill the third tank of gas now, countless hours of running, and over 400 miles without any problems...

29 AUG 2019 - Still running...…..

Last edited by Retired-297; 08-30-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Update Post, Current Status of Fix

Quick Reply: ASD - out of the blue engine shut off - FIXED